Score one for Fairweather

JayB

Good point counterfeit. I'll sell my house pronto, move to the burbs, get a second job, and raise a latch-kid key to avoid your definition of selfish.

This is getting ridiculous. We do all make selfish decisions. But they are decisions. If it's really in one to give, they will do so. If it's one's habit to go the selfish route then maybe they are a selfish person. I didn't call you that. If you have a plan that will allow you to be more altruistic in the future then I commend you. I am glad you're taking good care of your kids.

What I am sprayguing about (arguspraying?) is what I hate about political discussion here (and everywhere else)- people have views they have come to based mostly on emotion, without much actual thought.

No irony there.

I guess the irony is that I said "I HATE EMOTIONAL STUFF"? I guess that is a technically valid point but I don't think it's very relevant.

I think you're wrong, by the way. This has been a decent debate with some well thought out arguments, not just spray. I'm not sure how you're delineating the two, frankly, because you haven't, well, thought it out, maybe.

Well, okay. I still think you're shooting from the hip, you didn't really pay much attention to what Brooks was saying and you don't have any real evidence to support your argument, when you could probably get some.

PS: You can look up 'margin of error' on the internet.

What a rad way to alleviate my concern that you were throwing a term around without knowing what it meant!

I also think giving to charity has nothing to do with income. There are a hell of a lot of folks out there with not much money who give their time instead. It's not how much you make, it's whether you care or not. That's the difference.

I totally agree there is more than one way to be charitable. There are many things you can do.

Actually if you look back at the first page, volunteering is something covered in the article.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I HATE

Turn off the lights. Light some candles. Put on some Bob Dylan from his Woody Guthrie period. Get your favorite rock glass. Pop the cork off the bottle of Pendleton. Pour generously. Start sipping. Soon, a warm, inner glow, a kind of perfect reverie, will supplant your hate.

Your hate will return the following morning, however, with a vengeance.