3 Lost on Mount Hood

cluck

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jfmctlaw

I do the same. I turn off the GPS when in town just because big brother is watching, not that I worried it just wierd to know someone can track you everywhere. My frequented climbing places have no cell service so I carry an EPIRB and a HAM radio for my self rescue/communication solution. Good point.

Where is Lleth getting his info? I'm skeptical because the News doesn't have anything yet.

Yes I saw the same post yesterday and my fear is it is they. The guys may have not gotten the word about the closure. I hope it is not them and it is Bryan and Niko who the chopper is seeing. If it was B and N you would think they would wave to the chopper. One prone in the snow with the other over him makes me wonder. It's amazing how this information is so true but so false in a lot of ways.

I am having trouble leaving my tv and keyboard today just waiting on news. Last info I had was that rescuers were digging in near summit due to weather, any updates on that or on current weather? Any actual information as to depth of snowfall creating the avalanche conditions? Any word on the two climbers spotted on the north side this morning?

Peace, hope, and brotherhood everyone.

Just talked to ZigZag Ranger district regarding plans for climbing this weekend. Weather forecast is looking relatively decent and we had planned for the regular bivy at Triangle Moraine area Sat nite w/ SS summit Sun AM. Ranger checked w/ boss if we would be allowed to proceed. Replied they won't prevent us, even if search activities continue. He suggested current avalanche danger is high, also requested we call ZigZag station w/ sitreps.

Given the predicted weather improvement for Sat/Sun, including colder temps, we feel avalanche danger may be acceptable for SS route. Probably SAR teams, if search is still underway, will have been and gone by the time we lug the basecamp up to 9500'.

We feel bad for the missing climbers and have great respect for those searching.

Sorry I said I was off. This is the guy from portland that said he was climbing today. badbill from a while back.

Just talked to ZigZag Ranger district regarding plans for climbing this weekend. Weather forecast is looking relatively decent and we had planned for the regular bivy at Triangle Moraine area Sat nite w/ SS summit Sun AM. Ranger checked w/ boss if we would be allowed to proceed. Replied they won't prevent us, even if search activities continue. He suggested current avalanche danger is high, also requested we call ZigZag station w/ sitreps.

Given the predicted weather improvement for Sat/Sun, including colder temps, we feel avalanche danger may be acceptable for SS route. Probably SAR teams, if search is still underway, will have been and gone by the time we lug the basecamp up to 9500'.

We feel bad for the missing climbers and have great respect for those searching.

Sorry I said I was off. This is the guy from portland that said he was climbing today. badbill from a while back.

The route these guys where talking about is no where near where the helicopter saw the two climbers earlier. It is near impossible to traverse from the south side of Hood over to tie in rock (well, not impossible, but kinda tough) so I doubt that is them they are seeing, and more likely that it is the climbers we are all looking for.

I hope that this gives some more perspective on the geographic locations of the mountain.