Recomended Ice Tools

KingsMM

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The BD Cobras are really great tools that can be used for alpine, pure ice, and mixed and do all quite well. they really excell at pure ice though. not quite so good for leashless mixed but good enough. If you use them enough in the alpine for plunging and knocking snow buildup from under your crampons the rubber can start to peel up but you can tape it down with climbing tape or rip it off and re rubberize it with tool dip. I bought mine used for $250CND a few years ago and they've had heavy use ever since and are still going strong. Out of my partners tools i've tried i've never even come close to wanting any of them (rage, aztars, quarks, prophets,). The bd vipers seem pretty sweet to and i would consider buying them next. ive only held them in the store though and swung at imaginary ice. Will Gadd reccomends them too so they must be good

Edited by salbrecher

I am looking for basicly the cheapest that i can get

pretty sure thats the first line in how to climb ice, it says do not do that...

go to store swing some tools and see what feels best and buy those if yo dont have the loot to spend then try and find them used..for instance I cant stand those cobras, heavy, hard to remove, to wide of a grip...but one of my parnters loves them..its like boots or shoes you gotta try em on