Middle Sister Southeast Ridge Beta Needed

tobytortorelli

We're making a trip to nicer weather, and skiing some of Oregon's volcano's next week. One question is: Can the trip from pole cr. to the s.e. ridge and up be done in a morning?? Does anyone know actual mileage. Can't seem to find any information. Any useful comments welcome....Also, any info. on conditions of Jefferson, Mcgloughlin(sp?),Thielsen access at this time appreciated...Thanks, T.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did it with a partner a couple of years ago in early July. We got an early start from Portland, drove to the trailhead and started walking in the late morning. I think it's something like 6 to 8 miles to the basin below the ridge. The terrain getting in there is kind of complicated with a lot of rim rock to skirt and several drainages to cross. Take a good topo. The book "Oregon Descents" has a serviceable description in it. The approach might be easier with the snowpack we have above 5,000 feet this year. I think we got to the basin below the saddle between Middle and South Sister around 3 or 4 - in time to relax and do a little touring in the late afternoon before dinner and bed. We skied/climbed the next morning and came out in the afternoon including probably an hour or two lost bushwacking on the way out - we descended the main drainage to the east from the saddle way too far and got cliffed out. We were eating burgers in Sisters at around 5:00 after a couple of bouldering moves with skis on our packs and a lot of walking.

It's a nice ski down with several short steeper pitches and some mellower stuff. There are a couple of places above 9,000' that a fall is not advisable.

Have fun

W

I was just in last weekend (and a couple weeks before that) skiing the Villard G. on North Sister. Be prepared to hike for a ways with skis on pack before getting to snow continuous enough for skis. Do not drop too low on descent, as WB advises. Entrance is easy, exit, more difficult. Pole Creek TH sits at 5520'. Start traversing left at around 6000' when coming out. Too high, and you do unnecessary climbing. Too low, and you're headed into Sisters w/o your car. Take map, compass, and altimeter, as usual.

• 2 weeks later...

Boy, that was awhile ago, I'm sure it's significantly melted since I was in there. I carried for about 1/2 mile from the TH. The Hayden Glacier is fairly innocuous if you go up the middle of it. There is usually a larger crevasse near the top, and an icefall to the south (but you don't go near it). Typically people do not rope up to get to the col (I release all liability for that statement [Wink] ). So the above advice is sound, it is a more direct ascent. The problem is that you don't get to ascend your descent, so you would be skiing some unknown terrain, potentially. I just skied the south sister yesterday, and the snow was fab. Hope that helps.

-Iain

quote:

Originally posted by b-rock: Trying to avoid any major glacier travel though.
[Cool]
[/QB]

Either route from Pole Creek involves some glacier travel. Both glaciers, the Dillard and Hayden, are straightforward so long as you start early, steer clear of any holes, and ski what you climb if you're unfamiliar with the terrain. Haven't skied the Sisters yet this plentiful snow year(had a trip planned a week ago Tuesday but the thunder, lightning, and rain kept us home)though even during last year's drought the Hayden and Dillard were relatively harmless in late April early May. If you wish to avoid glaciers alltogether approach from the west side not Pole Creek. Hope this helps. Have a blast out there!

[smile]

[ 06-07-2002, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: Thrashador ]

Last spring I skied the SE Ridge of Middle and climbed the N. Ridge of Middle to get there. I would recomend that approach, cause it will save you a lot of time. The Hayden is casual for a glacier. The climb up the N Ridge is pretty easy if you are comfortable on steep snow. And its an easy hike in from the trailhead, just don't cut in through the woods and bushwack too early. If you do, you'll end up against that huge sweepeing southeast ridge on North Sister. Which is all loose scree. Its best to leave the trail after you are well around it. I think time to the summit was about 4 hours from the car, and I did the first 2/3 of it with sneakers and carried my boots. Have fun!

We are back now, after skiing Crystal, Mt. Washington, South Sister, Thielson, Crater Lk., and McLoughlin. Perfect corn on all, without seeing anyone at all on the routes (minus Crater Lk. and Crystal, of course).....Middle and North sister didn't look as appealing as i have seen them before,(on the east sides) so we will go back next year. The West sides looked nice from Mt. Washington though....