Feedback on Supplemental AAC Insurance?

wfinley

Instead of resurrecting an old post i thought I 'd add a new one:

We'll he headed overseas in the fall for climbing. We'll be on 2 peaks that are just over 6000 m thus we'll probably get the additional AAC insurance coverage (we are already AAC members).

Has anyone here ever actually used (or at least purchased) this additional coverage? Any feedback on it?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though I am AAC member I do not use the supplemental insurance. This is because I have other insurance through the Diver's Alert Network that will cover me for any evac whether climbing, diving, or hiking. The only caveat is that you must call them first in order to be covered as they will not cover you after the fact.

I've purchased it for climbs in S. America. My view is that I only needed to pay for the days I was climbing and the fee was small in comparision to the overall cost of the trip and of any rescue/recovery costs if things went badly.

Another thing I did prior to my trips was to write a letter to my family stating how my assets should be distributed if I didn't come back. I had it notarized, but it was an informal thing not drawn up by an attorney. I don't know if it would have held up if challenged in court, but I figured it was better to give some direction, than leave them wondering. Just a thought.

The OeAV policy reads:

Organised Treks do not count as expeditions and are therefore insured (nb:for the first 6 weeks). If, during the course of such treks, single day attempts on summits over 6,000m are included, the these also do not count as expeditions. Insurance cover is provided.

• 4 weeks later...

FYI... we got all the info on the supplemental insurance. The AAC isn't very helpful regarding offering information and don't seem to understand how it works so here's what we were able to divulge:

AAC Supplemental Insurance is offered through Worldwide Outfitter and Guides Association. You pay for the coverage on the days you will be on the climb; not for the days you'll be on the expedition. For example - we'll be in Nepal for 4 weeks but only above 6000m for around 10 days - so we're paying for 10 days. The is a gray area regarding coverage at base camp vs coverage while climbing. AAC may or may not cover your rescue costs if you are injured at base camp. However w/ the additional coverage you will be covered. Coverage is up to $5000/ person with a $500 deductible.

Costs are as follows:

6000 - 6999m peaks: $9 / day with a $100 minimum

7000 - 7999m peaks - $12 / days with a $150 minimum

over 8000m peaks - $18 / days $225 minimum