Adams Glacier Route Beta

Elvis

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Every thing I've read says Early summer is the best time. I've been up there in August and it really gets chewed up even with its position on the North side of the mountain.

The group I went with wasn't able to go further than the high camp (we were going to ascend North Clever) because one of my buddies wasn't felling so hot, but the approach hike was beautiful and we got some nice shots of the mountain.(I'll try and get a pic in later)

Since I haven't been up that way this year the my concern is road conditions.

[ 05-22-2002, 07:06 AM: Message edited by: rock-ice ]

I climbed it with a friend last August and crevasses were very numerous and wide, especially at the top. It took us three tries to even find a route to the base through the web of crevasses. At the top of the route we spent lots of time trying to find a route through the broken up section at the top. Be prepared for a long descent on north ridge. I would recommend doing it early in the summer...

As you climb the route check out the steep ice on the northwest face to your right.

I climbed this route last year with Tom Breit. It was a nice route and a good time. I would recommend doing it before July if you want to do something more straightforward, and avoid the later-season conditions of the NW ridge.

Here are some pictures that will give you a good idea of what the route is like.

http://www.mountainwerks.org/alexk/climb/adams.htm