Is climbing really a "SPORT?"

Rodchester

OK...now think about this one for a minute before you respond off the cuff........

Is mountaineering, apline climbing, and "trad" crag climbing really a sport?

(I AM NOT INCLUDING SPORT CLIMBING....that is why the call it "sport" climbing.)

There are no spectators, there are no real rules with umpires and/or referees to enforce them, there is no score keeping, there is no field or arena, there is no timer running, there is no anything that you have in most sports.

How many times have you heard of people dying in a "sport"? Not too damn often (every year an average of one boxer dies and some years a football player will die).

I serioulsy do not think that climbing is a sport. But what should we call it? I don't know. Maybe an "activity" or just call it climbing.

So the question seeking a response is:

Is climbing a sport? Why or why not and if not, what should we call it?

(stay of target)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sport (spôrt, sprt)

n.

3. An active pastime; recreation.

4. Mockery; jest: He made sport of his own looks.

7. Biology. An organism that shows a marked change from the normal type or parent stock, typically as a result of mutation.

9. Obsolete. Amorous dalliance; lovemaking.

If climbing is not a sport, why are runouts "sporty" as in "This climb finishes with a deliciously sporty 30m runout above the last bolt...".

I agree with Rafael's dictionary. It may not be a competitive game but it sure is a game, with various rules, and a recreational pastime. So, sport, hobby, lifestyle - all of those. Not incomplementary.

DRU:

I am not considering "sport" climbing. So a runout above a bolt to me means sport climbing, delicious or not.

If all climbing is a sport, why do we call sport climbing, sport climbing?

Drinking is a recreational pastime, is it a sport? (some tongue-n-cheek)

with the way some people bitch and moan about alleged "rules" (pulling on pieces, leading all the pitches, etc) i guess you could call it a "sport." seems like some people are more worried about using the "rules" to validate or invalidate ascents, than they are about the actual climbing smile.gif

personally, it's a hobby to me, but to each their own.

peace.

It seems like what qualifies a "sport" is competition. Otherwise, how in God's name could you call bridge (a demonstration event in the next Olympics) or chess (which Sports Illustrated covered back in the Bobby Fisher days) or bass fishing, sports?

If that's the case, than climbing is certainly NOT a sport, since climbing is not about competition. Except, of course, "sport climbing," as mentioned above.

So what is it? How do we dignify it? You could call it a "pursuit" or "a way of life" if you wanted to be dramatic, or you could just say, "it's something I enjoy doing."

[This message has been edited by Alpine Tom (edited 07-31-2001).]

Drinking is a sport to some people. You can improve at it, for instance. For instance last Saturday night I was able to hold down a Guinness, two or three martinis and several shots of Jagermeister. Not long ago just the martrinis would have had me puking cause I'm a lightweight by nature.

Sport climbs have copious bolt protection. I challenge you to call a route with one bolt in a 50 meter pitch a sport climb without laughing. Or even something as well protected as the Bachar Yerian.....

I personally like the Soviet system. If you could climb well enough you became a Master of Sport and then did nothing but climb. Sounds like a good life. Yes Comrade Commissar! No Comrade Commissar!

quote:

Originally posted by Rodchester:

Drinking is a recreational pastime, is it a sport? (some tongue-n-cheek)

Well, then I guess I had a rather "sporting" evening last night with my margarita, compliments of Mr Blister's suggestion yesterday. Very tasty!

I once had a fellow football coach tell me that soccer is not a sport. He said, "Sports require hand-eye coordination." I thought about this a moment, then asked, "I don't know a single fat chick who can't find her mouth with a corn dog."

Sport climbing is neither.

• 3 weeks later...

I say nay on climbing being a sport, at least what modern man defines as a sport.

I am sure some climbers think it is a sport though, to them a weekend climb is like a weekend of football, baseball, ect.

Of course there are those of us (like myself) who view climbing as personal, often selfish activity, a pursuit that gives us a feeling that nothing else on this earth can!

Besides most 'sports' require more than one person, and or equipment. All you need to go climbing is hands and feet, sometimes not even all of those!

Dan E.