Non spraying rant

layton

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think any hero worship at all simply tells new climbers there are "unattainable ideals" which is pretty much total bullshit. Climbing is about what you can achieve if you come up with the goods.

I agree that it is a wonderful ideal to believe you can climb anything--especially when you are beginning.

I don't know about anyone else, but after 10 years I have learned that I have limits. There are things I will never be able to climb. And guess what? I don't care. But I certainly admire "elite" climbers more now than I ever did before--mostly because I have a better idea of how amazing their accomplishments really are. I don't feel like my climbing successes are belittled by theirs, nor are my ideals for my own climbing affected by their "heroic" accomplishments. These two things are unconnected.

But man I love watching my "heros" climb shit I couldn't ever begin to dream of doing--it takes my breath away.

I agree that i have certinly found that i have limits in my climbing. and i do admire certin climbers for thier grace and style. some i have met and climbed with and some i have not. i don't think there is anything wrong with acknowledging there is a person who can do something better than you or i can. i think the trouble is in allowing that to influence your decisoins about ANYTHING. just becouse some one climbs well does not mean i will take their word for anything unless i know them personaly. it is the comercialization that i abhore. i don't feel like i need to be an elite climber to be my own hero. I get out of bed every day and go to work and take care of two amzingly precious little boys. and sometimes i even find the time to climb and drink and goof arround with my fiends. cool.gif