Climbing permits/Mt. Rainier?

Bigtree

I heard from someone whom I consider to be a reliable source last weekend that despite the well known policy of requiring climbers of Mt. Rainier to obtain coveted mid-summer climbing permits for all summit attempts, park officials lack the regulatory authority to enforce such requirements (i.e., their bluffing and in the event a climber were to thumb their nose at the requirement and decide to climb without a permit park officials cannot stop them). Does anyone with an understanding of the US National Parks regulatory scheme have any views on whether this is true or not? I'm also curious if the same holds true for National Forest areas such as Mt. Adams.

BTW, I'm not interested in lectures or ethical debates about the issue - just curious about how such a potential enforcement whole could be allowed to exist.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I buy an annual pass in Mount Rainier National Park because it's the right thing to do. The money seems to be well used and they have a solid climbing program, waste removal, and helpful rangers/staff. I hesitantly buy a USFS Trail Park permit because at least a portion of the $$$ go to maintain roads and trailhead access. However, with more roads and trails falling into disrepair at the behest of environmental extremists each year I am rapidly losing faith.

I refuse, however, to buy a "volcano pass" or any other such nonsence permit for Adams, Baker, etc that seem to be nothing more than a jobs program for young wannabee land managers - with all of the $$$ raised paying for nothing more than enforcement of said pass. What a scam. Just respectfully refuse to produce ID if cornered by one of these USFS guys and go on about your way - feign deafness, act mentally deficient, whatever. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Just curious how this contrasts with GTNP where, save for the on-mountain waste removal program they bagged a few years back, a solid climbing program and incredibly helpful climbing rangers all come included with the price of admission - no climbing fee required. And poo bags are still handed out freely.

Edited by Lix

• 4 weeks later...

For the record, I was at Rainier Aug 10-12 with a buddy. We purchased our $30 passes at White River. Didn't make it past Camp Schruman this trip but didn't begrudge spending the dough given the well maintain trail up to Glacier Basin, the helpful/friendly rangers we met and best of all - not having to shit in a blue bag at Schurman.

Contrasting the fee/service with my Mt. Baker and Adams climbs earlier in June and August, I didn't see much difference in terms of value for money.