Our Safe World

EWolfe

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're one of the proud 200 million with cable television, then you have all kinds of imaginary fears and dangers, to contrast against an empty and meaningless life as consumer unit. It's best that you live inside your head, so that your body and proficiency can better serve the machine.

yeah, what the hell is your point?

There are only a handful of countries that are too shitty for a semi adventurous american to travel to in the world. Iraq, sections of afghanistan, ect. Not many. Crawl out of your closet and enjoy the other 99% of the world that is no more dangerous than driving to work on Monday.

I've enjoyed the tools on this board getting all worried over friends in Nepal because a couple policemen got killed at a random road block. Gimme a break. It's like getting all freaked out over some cop getting shot by some drugged out fucktard in LA while your friend was bar hopping and getting blown in a gay bar in San Francisco. It sucks for the cop but in the big picture...it doesn't change much. It's the same when some Palestinian kid gets shot throwing a rock at Israeli troops. There are a hell of allot greater statistical deaths in the US with Cop on kid/ kid on kid/ kid on cop yet it goes largely unnoticed here. If it is a politically related death then it gets press. Similar deaths that are not political do not get press.

Bottom line is you live in one of the most dangerous countries in the world for experiencing a violent death yet you are afraid to leave our borders?

Buy a plane ticket and you'll live longer.

Yes, we reign supreme. Doing well. Finally got my EU papers. Enjoying climbing every weekend in Spain. Too much rock here. a lot of alpine too, but tons of rock. Sometime I'll get around to posting a TR.

How are you doing? Congratz on the news of the baby! You nplan on staying in Asia or returing to to the States? Let me know if you have any questions about paperwork for taking your family to the States. I'm working right know on getting Elena paperwork for the States as well.

Edited by TimL

you have all kinds of imaginary fears and dangers, to contrast against an empty and meaningless life as consumer unit.

I think the imaginary fears and dangers are part of the strategy to entrap people into their empty and meaningless lives as consumer units. Chief among these is the fear that you don't measure up to your imaginary peer group. Just pick up any magazine and read the advertising. It's just as true for Outside as it is for Cosmo .

you have all kinds of imaginary fears and dangers, to contrast against an empty and meaningless life as consumer unit.

I think the imaginary fears and dangers are part of the strategy to entrap people into their empty and meaningless lives as consumer units. Chief among these is the fear that you don't measure up to your imaginary peer group. Just pick up any magazine and read the advertising. It's just as true for Outside as it is for Cosmo .

Your imagination is not so orignal. But good to bring this point up.

so why does Cosmo have so many sex tips anyways? "57 ways to please your man in bed" WTF anyways. they could summarize it as "fuck him" and use the extra paper they save from not printing the other 56 to run another tampon ad?
Good thinking. Run for a spot in the marketing dept.

I'll play, and try to behave myself.

At the time I started climbing:

There were about 6 routes on El Cap (a number I did nothing to increase) Ascents of any of them were a big enough deal that successful parties got their names in the mags.

The best maps of BC's Coast Mountains were a quarter inch to the mile with 500' contours.........and the cartographers had winged it a bit here and there. John Clarke had yet to begin his onslaught, and huge chunks of the range had never or only rarely felt a human footstep.

Even in the Cascades one could, with a bit of research and scheming, find and stand atop some bump that had never been climbed..............not a major summit but an unclimbed one nonetheless. New route possibilities seemed limitless.

Those sorts of realities lent an air of...Jesus, I'm lost for an exact word here...but how about maybe mystery or exploration to climbing and mountaineering. I think it's a lot harder to get those same feelings today.

Maybe it doesn't touch very well on your safe world question but to have caught even the tail end of the never-to-be-repeated pioneering era was really very cool. I miss that sometimes.