Classic Yosemite Multi's

jport

Time to escape the winter weather in Portland!

I'm heading to California in two weeks for some early-season trad. climbing. Our plan is to climb at Pinnacle Nat. Monument for a few days then drive to Yosemite N.P. and spend three days in the Valley.

I'm helping lead a group of enthusiastic teenagers with limited climbing experience and would like to get them on some classic multi-pitch routes in Yosemite. We are going to limit our scope to climbs in the 5.6-5.9 range.

So far my list includes: Nutcracker, After Seven, The Grack, and Munginella. Any other suggestions or routes that shouldn't be missed.

Let's not even discuss the weather... I have my fingers crossed that conditions will warm up a bit in the Valley.

Thanks!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

central pillar of DOPE, er frenzy is awesome (and quite reasonable for the grade)!! SnakeHike, er dike, makes for a fun (and long with the hike) day at 5.7 (probably a lot of snow up there though)

Also, for cragging go to Reeds...lotta fun stuff there...and ElCap has some good single pitch climbing on it...

jport

i would say that all those climbs are not really suited for a large group of beginners. small ledges, natural anchors and long lines will affect yours and everyones elses enjoyment of the day.

after the 1st belay ledge on nutcracker they get smaller and smaller...more then 2-3 people makes them awkward and potentially dangerous from crowding.

have fun...we are getting pounded by the snow for the next week or so.

muginella has considerable rockfall potential from climbers and hikers above.

the grack is located on glacier point apron. spring is a bad time to be on the apron as spring melt increases extreme rockfall hazard.

There will be a total of six students and four adults. Most of the students' experience comes from climbing at Smith Rock. This will be their first time in the Valley. This is an opportunity for them to see/study famous routes, experience Yosemite rock, and get more excited about climbing.

Obviously, we are going to be very safety-conscious. We also have great respect for the tradition and environment of Yosemite.

Obviously Smith is very different than Yosemite.

Our intention is not to crowd/monopolize routes. The original purpose of my post was to find some classic multi-pitch routes. If we can find an area that has several good routes, in close proximity, that would be a bonus.

Back to the subject: Does anyone have other route recommendations?

Whatever your intention may be beginners and multipitch moderate yosemite classics = crowding. They are already popular. I'd also wonder why you are taking them to Pinnacles - poorly protected crap rock isn't beginner friendly either. Thought about Joshua tree?

Base of el cap may not be a good idea due to icefall danger from the summit. Also yosemite really is not the best beginner area as there are very few easier climbs that are high quality (and the few that do exist are extremely crowded). The Leap is a much, much better destination in this regard. But if yosemite is where you want to go, check out the Supertopo guidebook. A few good moderate yose cragging areas include sunnyside bench, bishop's terrace, knob hill, and camp 4 wall.

Braille Book, and while you're up there the Reg Route on Higher Spire. The approach is tame, about an hour.

Oh My! shocked.gif Hows about Moby Dick while your at it?!

Ive only been to Yos once. Braille Book was great (except I didnt like the approach). however, I wouldnt recommend it in your circumstances. Just take them craggin'.

Church Bowl has some decent climbs. WIth a group that size you could probably spend the day there. I remember enjoying Church Bowl Lieback quite a bit. I think there is a 5.4 and a handful of 5.8's. If you wanna punish someone, I think Church Bowl chimney might be the way to go wink.gif

Next to camp 4 there were some short climbs which would be a good intro. Heck, if you want to get them on a classic, bring some bouldering pads and let them give midnight lightning a try. smile.gif

I dont know your group, their experience, their goals, etc. If they just want to climb and see yosemite, then does it matter if you get on the classics? There are zillions of other climbs out there which they could enjoy.

And remember, BIG difference in ratings compared to smith (in my opinion anyway). So, they might get tired out pretty quick. Heck, maybe even a nice hike would be enjoyable. Its gorgeous out there!!!!!

Hope you have good weather and fun times!

-c