olympic mountainering in port angeles

whirlwind

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

store closed down as the owners decided to take a break for a while. I guess they may open another store sometime in the future...but they had some big beef with the Port Angeles business associations or some such group that they had to work with in order to stay in business. Bummer...now you're stuck buying your gear at Swains or WallyWorld. crazy.gif Browns also has a selection of stuff (right downtown).

By the way, Browns sucks. Always have. They treated me like shit once when I was about 12 and again when I was 20. I have been in there exactly twice. All you climbers out on the peninsula lost a valuable resorce when OM shut the doors. I feel for you.

Store is closed, yet rumors are that they may open a smaller shop (similar to the one previously on Peabody St.)somewhere on Race St., hopefully. It did seem as though they were tired of working in the customer service industry! Browns does nothing for climbers gear wise, but for basic camping items they are okay. Steve at Wildernest is a real good guy, and yes, the shop has recently expanded some into the adjacent space, allowing him to display some of his new Black Diamond line and more of his packs and Exped gear. He's got some good used stuff upstairs as well.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry to here thay closed, steve n dave pretty much got me into climbing 6 or so yrs ago, i don't blame em for not wanting to deal with costumers any more there they use to get alot of turons on there way to and from victoria.

anyway sorry the store closed hopefully they are out climbing someplace and enjoyin life for awhile

• 1 month later...

With Mt Constance Shoppe closing a few years ago, now it is virtually impossible to buy climbing gear west of Puget Sound. Hate to say it, but I think REI should be opening a store in Kitsap County, probably Silverdale. They have a huge market over here. Even without them, the smaller specialty shops can't seem to float, but REI with much broader and bigger inventory would survive.