Mammoth Lakes Area: mid March?

tasmith513

I'll be headed down to the Eastern Sierra in about a week, and was looking for some intesting and enjoyable cragging besides Owens and all of the bouldering in Bishop. I know there is some great cragging to be found in the Mammoth area, but most of it is kinda high. So does anyone have any beta on the amount of snow this year that may stop me if I try to get to Clark Canyon, Benton Crags, Rock Creek, etc.? Are there any crags someone would recomend for this time of year? And would anyone recomend checking out the Alabama Hills or anywhere else down south by Lone Pine? I'm going to track down the Marty Lewis guidebooks, so I don't need specific route beta, I'm just interested in current access conditions and any personal recomendations. Thanks a ton in advance for any beta.

cheers, TA

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

And would anyone recomend checking out the Alabama Hills?

Yes. it's a cool spot. a little runout on some sport routes, a little bit of flakey granite too, but a nice diversion from being a pad person in Bishop. Make sure to climb the "Sharks Fin" and get a picture like the guidebook cover with Whitney in the background. Free camping at the BLM campground nearby too.

Did you look at the weather forecast for Mammoth?

H2O RATIOS IN THE 15:1 TO 20:1 RANGE. LOOKS LIKE A FEW SNORKEL DAYS FRIDAY AND SATURDAY....3 TO 4 FEET POSSIBLE ON THE UPPER MOUNTAIN WITH 1 TO 2 FEET IN THE TOWN OF MAMMOTH AND UP TO A FOOT IN CROWLEY.

that's ski weather rockband.gifrockband.gif