Tents?

Kitergal

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

obviously the lighter the better....under $500...(prefer around $300 but not sure if that's likely) 2 person. Definately durable (strong winds and steep walls to luff the snow off). as far as single/double wall...not sure. No real preferences on layout/doors, as long as it has a vestible..but that's pretty standard now a days..

Integral Designs MK1 Lite! I love this tent and can't say enough about it.

I also have an old (15 years) NF Aerohead that I love as well (I try not to use my ultra expensive single wall all summer). It is dying though and I'll soon have to start looking for a replacement.

I picked up a Kmart special from Second Bounce ten years ago for under $100, and it's worked fine for me. The design is a rip off of a TNF two man, but for a three pole front entry it weighs in at under 5 lbs. It's been up Rainier and a dozen other peaks. Don't feel like you need to blow $500 on a four season tent if you don't need one. They're heavy and overkill for most things in Washington. REI does a good job at ripping off functional designs and offering them for sale at a reasonable price. Aor an all around general purpose tent, the REI Half Dome 2 is a pretty good two person two pole tent that weighs in at 5 lbs and sells for under $200. You can go nicer and lighter if you have the cash to burn.

I picked up a Kmart special from Second Bounce ten years ago for under $100, and it's worked fine for me. The design is a rip off of a TNF two man, but for a three pole front entry it weighs in at under 5 lbs. It's been up Rainier and a dozen other peaks. Don't feel like you need to blow $500 on a four season tent if you don't need one. They're heavy and overkill for most things in Washington. REI does a good job at ripping off functional designs and offering them for sale at a reasonable price. Aor an all around general purpose tent, the REI Half Dome 2 is a pretty good two person two pole tent that weighs in at 5 lbs and sells for under $200. You can go nicer and lighter if you have the cash to burn.

thumbs_up.gif

I highly recommend the Hilleberg Nallo 2 GT, it's realatively light for a true 4 season tent (about 5 pounds with all stakes, poles etc.) and has a huge vestibule (big enough for a third person in a pinch). When fully staked and guyed it's real good in the wind and ventilates well. The list price is a bit over $500 though.

Edited by ADKMan