screw wolverines! how bout a cave w/poison frogs

minx

big cave w/frogs

Explorers Discover Huge Cave and New Poison Frogs Bjorn Carey

LiveScience Staff Writer

LiveScience.com

1 hour, 53 minutes ago

A cave so huge helicopters can fly into it has just been discovered deep in the hills of a South American jungle paradise.

Actually, "Cueva del Fantasma"—Spanish for "Cave of the Ghost"—is so vast that two helicopters can comfortably fly into it and land next to a towering waterfall.

It was found in the slopes of Aprada tepui in southern Venezuela, one of the most inaccessible and unexplored regions of the world. The area, known as the Venezuelan Guayana, is one of the most biologically rich, geologically ancient and unspoiled parts of the world.

This is the first geographic report and photographic evidence of such an immense cave. However, researchers say, it isn’t really a cave, but a huge, collapsed, steep gorge.

As a bonus, researchers also discovered a new dendrobatid frog species, Colostethus breweri, named for the frog’s identifier, Charles Brewer-Carías. Dendrobatid frogs make up the group of amphibians commonly known as "poison dart" frogs.

This is the second report recently to describe a newfound paradise of sorts containing previously unknown animal species.

Scientists distinguished C. breweri from its close relatives by its particular skin pattern, absence of fringes on fingers, moderate toe webbing, tongue characteristics, and yellow and orange coloration on its undersides. It is described as a fast-moving frog that lives along creeks and in quiet pools along small streams along the slopes near the cave.

This is the eighteenth described species of Colostethus discovered in Venezuelan Guayana.

This discovery, not widely reported, was detailed in the Jan. 17 issue of the journal Zootaxa

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It was found in the slopes of Aprada tepui in southern Venezuela, one of the most inaccessible and unexplored regions of the world. The area, known as the Venezuelan Guayana, is one of the most biologically rich, geologically ancient and unspoiled parts of the world.

...Until some f'n idiot started giving helicopter tours at 10 pesos a pop.

wolverines are still cooler. fuckin hippy and your pychodelic frogs.

sorry i didn't see this sooner. i was out feeding free range organicly fed insects to my posse of psychedelic frogs. Then I had to nourish my auro with wheat germ, bean sprouts and organic guava nectar. mushsmile.gif

harry, i'm sorry you can't appreciate the value of a psychedilic frog, you violent wolverine lovin redneck. you should just go back to your yurt in the middle of your sheep herd and stfu. don't make me throw a giant poisonous frog at you. evils3d.gif