smoking and healthcare premiums

Gary_Yngve

Companies are starting to charge smokers extra for healthcare plans:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/02/16/smokers.insurance.ap/index.html

Personally, I think smoking is foul and gross, and I'm sure my healthcare premiums are higher because of smokers. From that respect, I favor charging smokers.

On the other hand, I don't want folks to get the idea that climbers should pay higher premiums too.

Opinions?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea smoking is proven to shorten your life. Climbing is not.

You aren't really that dim are you? Climbing is more dangerous than the "average", so is smoking. Both have risks quantifiable over broad populations assoicated with them. Both have societal benefits that are hard to calculate and defineable costs that are relatively easy to quantify. It comes to how society views those activities - smoking was tolerated, even encouraged, for a long time. No longer.

OK smoking is bad, bad, bad. A truly unwise thing to do. No quarrel there.

That said, everybody dies, and if you make it out of your twenties and escape the auto wreck lottery, chances become much stronger that you'll die of some disease. So if you don't die of lung disease but instead fall prey to one of the many other killers, how much lower will the cost of your care be. Doesn't all of that other shit that kills you cost a fortune as well?

Climbers may only escape scrutiny because their numbers are so small. Private pilots, race drivers, and the like enjoy (I think) higher insurance costs.

This is already a big factor in life insurance markets. I personally think that if going after smokers and fat-people is okay - which I think it is - climbers should be fair game too. I think if the actuaries actually crunched the numbers there's be a fairly good tradeoff between the extra expenses associated with injuries, and the extra health benefits associated with the extra activity. The fact that climbing injuries are so often fatal would probably also mitigate the expense somewhat, which explains why most health insurers could care less about skydiving when figuring out how much to charge for coverage.

This is already a big factor in life insurance markets. I personally think that if going after smokers and fat-people is okay - which I think it is - climbers should be fair game too. I think if the actuaries actually crunched the numbers there's be a fairly good tradeoff between the extra expenses associated with injuries, and the extra health benefits associated with the extra activity. The fact that climbing injuries are so often fatal would probably also mitigate the expense somewhat, which explains why most health insurers could care less about skydiving when figuring out how much to charge for coverage.

What about the health benefits of an active outdoor lifestyle? And are climbers any more injury-prone than other athletes? Been watching the Olympix lately? Every third athlete is either injured, on the comeback from an injury, or will be getting injured in tomorrow's practice run.

Yea smoking is proven to shorten your life. Climbing is not.

You aren't really that dim are you? Climbing is more dangerous than the "average", so is smoking. Both have risks quantifiable over broad populations assoicated with them. Both have societal benefits that are hard to calculate and defineable costs that are relatively easy to quantify. It comes to how society views those activities - smoking was tolerated, even encouraged, for a long time. No longer.

For the good majority of things that an insurance company would consider climbing the drive there is more dangerous than the climb itself.

Ah, but smoking ups your chances of contracting hateful lungchunk disease by a factor of a million, eh.

Of course. But a million, a billion, a brazilian. Not contracting smoking caused disease doesn't mean you won't get any disease. Not dying from smoking doesn't mean you won't die. Something's gonna get ya

Higher health insurance premiums for smokers are actuarily justified if the cost of those people's health care, on a long term, to-the-grave basis is significantly higher than those who do not smoke and ultimately die from other medical conditions. If one person dies at, say, 60 from smoking related causes couldn't their lifelong healthcare be cheaper than some one who dies at 90 form another cause?

I'm not trying to defend smoking but I sometimes get the sense in these sorts of exchanges that people get the illusion that non-smokers don't die at all, or that when they do they go peacefully (and cheaply) in their sleep. Few are so lucky. Most of us are alotted an expensive little bit of misery on the way out.

The analogy between smoking and climbing doesn't make sense. Smoking is wide spread and kills millions of people, so the health insurance companies have a huge financial incentive to distinguish between smokers and non-smokers. There aren't enough climbers or enough climbing accidents to make it worth their time to sort out who climbs and who doesn't.

None of you dirtbags has health insurance anyway so who cares?

Having the insurance companies know you climb will only occur if a) you tell them (dummy!) or b) they've been data mining your purchases (boo!) and put 2 and 2 together or c) we get those lovely new national ID cards that tell everything about you but keep us 'safe' from terrorists (yay for freedom!). Once you become a registered climber, you will likely only be allowed to climb in designated 'safe' climbing areas, under supervision. If you cannot climb harder than 5.9 trad, you will have to go before an insurance industry certified board and take classes if you want to try a 5.10. Being a beginning climber will make your rates go up because you're a bumbly. Climbing harder will make your rates go up because you are assuming more risk. Your rates will not go down because you are 'healthier' (since, because of your shopping records, we know you have a penchant for cigs, booze, cheap hamburgers, and unprotected sex with goats). Most imporantly, your rates will not go down because you need to be subsidizing our profits and everyone else on the system who has something worse than you do.

Wouldn't an insurance company deny you money if you got hurt climbing but had denied climbing on the application?

Of course, and rightly so if they had asked and you had misrepresented that fact.

I think some companies and governments are moving towards plans that reward participants (through reduced copays or ?) who follow through on some portion of a list of healthy choices. I think King County does this. Don't know all the items but I'm pretty sure tobacco, diet, and excercise are on there. Excercise was the awfully minimal 20 or 30 minutes 3 times a week if I remember. Gotta start somewhere

If any of you don't know me, I am a Financial Analyst for an National insurance company.

I can tell you that we are not that concerned about accidents and such. Broken bones and rare accidents don't even show up on our radars. We are mainly concerned with chronic diseases and chronic conditions, ones that bring in large bills every month, year after year. Those are the main things that are effecting health insurance decisions (obesity, cancer, diabetes, liver failure).

I tell you we would rather have someone out climbing than sitting on the couch.

The reason there are separate plans for smokers is because we need them to pay a higher premium just to pretty much break even. The alternate is to raise the rates for people who don't smoke, then you lose customers.

Remember that all types of people work at insurance companies, even climbers.

Edited by Bill_Simpkins

We are mainly concerned with chronic diseases and chronic conditions, ones that bring in large bills every month, year after year. Those are the main things that are effecting health insurance decisions (obesity, cancer, diabetes, liver failure).

The reason there are separate plans for smokers is because we need them to pay a higher premium just to pretty much break even.

Thank you. That is sort of the data I was looking for.

On another note I've been fortunate enough to have employer (and before that union) paid health insurance pretty much my whole adult life. Nobody has ever asked me diddly & I've pretty much formed an impression that those plans take everyone in a group regardless of individual variables.

My concern is that in doing this a door of sorts is opened. If we charge smokers extra then wouldn't it be logical to next charge drinkers, followed by extra costs of your family has a history of illness, followed by extra costs if you eat red meat, have illicit sex etc. etc.? Isn't heart disease the number one killer? In that sense it makes just as much sense to charge fat people extra as well as smokers.