Lillooet local reports in.....

jac

So, it snowed at 700 metres yesterday and the day before but we're not sure if it will stay. It has been melting a bit during the day. Hopefully winter is on its way. Anyone interested in a B&B cottage accomodations <100metres from the Honeyman ice falls access road? We're still under some renos but willing to cut climbers a deal. We can also check out the falls as we hike up regularly (we have friends who live in Marble Canyon as well). Great food - specialty stuff, no prob. Call Ailsa at 256-4744, 256-1779 or post a message for me.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, it snowed at 700 metres yesterday and the day before but we're not sure if it will stay. It has been melting a bit during the day. Hopefully winter is on its way. Anyone interested in a B&B cottage accomodations <100metres from the Honeyman ice falls access road? We're still under some renos but willing to cut climbers a deal. We can also check out the falls as we hike up regularly (we have friends who live in Marble Canyon as well). Great food - specialty stuff, no prob. Call Ailsa at 256-4744, 256-1779 or post a message for me.

Shit, how about to weekend of the 20-22 if the weather stays cold. I'd like to bring the little lady, but she doesn't climb so I don't know what she would do around town while I'm out hitting it up. bigdrink.gif

I wouldn't recommend it as stumbling distance but it is doable...definitely a short cab ride away and apparently if there are a number of you the pub pays for your ride. Technically it is about 5km or so. You must have some history in our little town, only locals still call it the Mugs. It has new owners and a new name: the Feelin' Good Pub and Grill.

We have lots for the "little lady" to do....depends what she's into. Outdoors, shopping, spa, pub crawl, church, tours, the gym, whatever..we can recommend stuff to keep her occupied. Just to let you know it has warmed up here a little but we're trying to find out what the ice conditions are like. Apparently, there is climbing out the Duffy and Marble Canyon.

We were on the ice hunt yesterday. Unfortunately, with the exception of what looked like some marginal ice at the Rambles, there is NO ice along the Duffy. Marble Canyon is still holding out with leadable ice on the Deeping Wall and the Dihedral and TR'able ice in the vicinity of Waite For Spring, the Jolly Rancher, and No Deductible. I guess it's time to go to the Rockies.

So how much colder in general is it up at Marble canyon that in Lillooette?

the guidebook say 5ºC to 8ºC. i suspect that difference is true when "normal" winter weather is in effect, and considerably less when the big warm fronts overwhelm the whole area.

right now [6pm Friday], Lillooet shows 2ºC, Cache Ck 5ºC, and Clinton (which i usually reckon is closer to Marble Canyon conditions because of altitude and interior position) is 0ºC. not exactly the best ice-making weather.

and you can believe what oldgoat says...

cheers, don

We were on the ice hunt yesterday. Unfortunately, with the exception of what looked like some marginal ice at the Rambles, there is NO ice along the Duffy. Marble Canyon is still holding out with leadable ice on the Deeping Wall and the Dihedral and TR'able ice in the vicinity of Waite For Spring, the Jolly Rancher, and No Deductible. I guess it's time to go to the Rockies.

i spoke to oldgoat on the phone to get more details. on the duffey, the top and bottom of synchronicity are gone, the lower pitches of loose lady are just running water (no ice at all), the tube (usually very dependable) was totally gone, there is no ice visible at cinnamon ck, and the bottom 2/3 of carlsberg is gone. they did not walk up to the rambles, but via binocs they cld see ice, which appeared kinda anemic. yikes...

as mentioned, there IS the rockies...

cheers, don

So how much colder in general is it up at Marble canyon that in Lillooette?

the guidebook say 5ºC to 8ºC. i suspect that difference is true when "normal" winter weather is in effect, and considerably less when the big warm fronts overwhelm the whole area.

right now [6pm Friday], Lillooet shows 2ºC, Cache Ck 5ºC, and Clinton (which i usually reckon is closer to Marble Canyon conditions because of altitude and interior position) is 0ºC. not exactly the best ice-making weather.

and you can believe what oldgoat says...

cheers, don

Thanks don, God this sucks.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SEATTLE WA

830 AM PST MON JAN 16 2006

.......LONG TERM...BASICALLY

LOOKS LIKE NO BREAK IN THE PATTERN FOR THE NEXT 10+ DAYS. WHAT WE

HAVE HAD FOR THE LAST 4 WEEKS IS SIMILAR TO WHAT WE WILL SEE OVER

THE NEXT COUPLE OF WEEKS. DUCKS AND FISH ARE HAPPY I GUESS...OH YEAH

AND SKIERS TOO.