Icicle Ridge

JoshK

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

up fourth of july and out chatter creek in the spring. good terrain.

some friends have done it up fourth of july and down to the icicle ridge parking lot in a better snow year. they had fun. you would be carrying your skis down the lower part of the trail right now.

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't, but in that same area, Hatchery Creek makes a nice "ridge" tour with lots of elev. gain. Nice open forest up high, and safe from avies until you get close to Big Jim mtn.

Hey Phil, I posted a map of the area. Is there no way to get from those large flats and ridgeland onto the gentle south slops of Big Jim without significant avalanche slope exposure? The topography makes it look like an interesting area.

2450hatchery.JPG

Is there no way to get from those large flats and ridgeland onto the gentle south slops of Big Jim without significant avalanche slope exposure?

I've haven't been that far, I was just guessing. blush.gif

Just made it to Pt.6296 during a high-avy-danger day last season, then turned around due to a friend with tired dogs. It was just nice unusual-for-the-Cascades terrain up there. Open woods and glades.

Thought maybe you could follow the ridgeline itself to Big Jim, but I didn't get a good look at it.

regarding philfort's comment about skiing the ridge to the summit:

we tried one winter and made it to pt. 7616'. we bailed off to the northeast due to rocky sections along the ridge and unusually cold conditions...good skiing though. the ne facing bowls above big jim mt. lakes would be great with the right conditions (only been there in the summer). enough...