Strobach Mountain conditions, partners, etc.

pdk

Looking for any info on conditions on Strobach Mountain and the surrounding area.

Also, i'm fairly new to the area and just picked up the Washington Ice book. Are any of the climbs on Strobach Mountain and Dome peak still unclimbed? Seems hard to believe that they haven't.

ps. if things are in up there, i'll be looking for a climbing partner/s this weekend. Coming from Portland.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no idea about current cond's, but I've been in there a number of times in Dec in previous years and one or two routes is usually in by first or second week of Dec.

As to routes being still unclimbed, yes, many of them are still unclimbed. Winter access makes casual attempts at climbing stuff in the area very difficult for anyone except those who live in Yakima.

I kind of figured with the low freezing level the last couple weeks something would be in up there.

as far as things still being unclimbed, i guess i need to find some people who are into first ascents and the adventure of "looking" for new ice (i.e. suffering just for the hell of it). I've got climbing partners back east that are into that, but haven't found anyone out this way yet.

How's the rock up there in thin conditions?

There is plenty of good unclimbed routes to be climbed in Washington if you are willing to tramp around the woods a little (most people arent though).

As for the rock at Strobach, its basalt. In general its fairly weathered, friable, not particularly solid, reliable natural pro is sparse. I drytooled something there on TR this past year where I would have gotten only 2 decent natural pro placements in 30 meters.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any current info on conditions?

Also- looking to head up over new years weekend. Looking for a partner/s, however I'll warn you I'd prefer to head back and check out some of unclimbed lines further off the beaten path. PM me if you're interested. Coming from Portland.