crazyjizzy

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

crazyjz,

I found no local dealers of satellite phones when I looked last year. I ended up renting through Satellite Oufitters (look for them on the Web). I was able to speak with a sales rep on the phone who was pretty knowledgeable. I would recommend giving them a call.

where do you plan to use it? The cheapest phones and service plans, i think, are from global star and maybe Inmarsat?, and the phones themselves are smaller and more portable, but they only work up to about 60-70 degrees of latitude (and thats with a clear field of view) and they don't work in the middle of the oceans, or in most of africa or in parts of southeast asia, and probably others too.

For the best coverage you would have to get Iridium phones, but they are bulkier and pricier. I rented mine from outfitter satellite - they've got them all. It was the cheapest monthly rental, but they ream you on the fedex overnight shipping(over $100 round trip). In alaska, you can rent them from a bunch of places in anchorage (or from air taxi's), it costs more, but you get it right away.

I've also rented Iridium phones from Outfitter Sat. They worked well in Alaska (have used them without problems in the Brooks, Chugach and Wrangells). I have also rented from friends who own a guiding busines; If you have any friends who guide and own a phone try calling them and offering to rent it for a week or two.