ChrisT

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

funny. hahaha.gif

but was it sound over, or does the retard actually play?

arch and Toady,

No, the kid (Billy Redden) did not play the banjo, but neither was it a sound over, according to this excerpt...

Billy Redden

This image is iconic in as much as it is rooted in American folklore, it triggers fears of loss and hopelessness in people. Billy Redden was not actually acting, he was the real thing and was not sufficiently expert in faking the playing of the infamous music sequence convincingly enough; ultimately another youngster was hidden behind his chair, with the task of providing the hand movements on the guitar.

Billy Redden is still alive and has made a second film with Tim Burton, Big Fish

...which I got from this site.

Cool. But this site has a funny quote:

This 16-year-old boy from Rabun County, Georgia was the only "authentic" local to play the role of The Banjo Boy in John Boorman's disturbing hit movie of 1972 Deliverance. Billy was hand-picked from his local elementary school largely due to his "look" ( Billy's large head,skinny body, odd-shaped eyes and moronic grin had sadly branded him a poster-child for inbreeding and mental deficiency).

The actual irony is that Billy was neither "retarded" nor even able to "fake" playing the banjo.

I think someone who can't fake playing a banjo might qualify as being a candidate for retard testing. Nonetheless, I always wondered if he could play...and those eyes...