Injury on Baker???

bcollins

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I stupidly learned this lesson one of the first times I was ever on a glacier/snowfield with crampons on. I was descending (don't even recall what now) on hard snow and I got to a short section which had an obvious safe runout to a flat area. I figured I'd glissade it. Below it was more steep stuff so I figured if I just glissaded with my crampons on, I could avoid taking them off then putting them back on again. Well, it went ok for the first 10 seconds until I started getting bumped around on the rough snow and could't keep my feet up. Needless to say, a crampon caught and luckily all that happened was I was rocketed around nearly 180 degrees. Of course, this scared the shit out of me, so I flailed worthlessly to try to straighten out again. I arrived at the bottom just fine, but I'm sure it looked mighty ridiculous to anybody that happened to witness it. [laf]

I was up there on Sunday when this took place. We were descending to the saddle and discovered a guy with a broken leg. He had been glissading with crampons on.

His partners had made him comfortable. We worked on him together, administering first aid. He was dehydrated and was getting cramps on and around the fracture... Not a real comfortable situation.

We called for a patient evacuation and about two hours after the accident a large Navy helicopter came and picked him up.

Good job to the injured party's team members. You guys did a good job. And good luck to the injured, I hope it wasn't too bad and that you're back on your feet soon.

A lot of sketchiness in the mountains this year. It seems like a lot of simple basic safety is being ignored.

Jason

Thanks for the post, Jason. It's nice to get some clear insight (in something short of 4000 words -> Lambone! [Wink] ) to a situation and to hear that it wasn't a complete 'sketchfest.'

I suspect, however, that the accident rate for this year will prove to be indistinguishable from that of recent years. I think we just hear about incidents in a more timely fashion.

-t

It is all bullshit, this is the axe ident that they are talking about:

I was cruising the North Ridge Solo last weekend and whilst descending the coleman -deming- I stuck my X-15 in my tool holster and said " I better not fall and buss my ass or that X-15 is gunna cut me a new one- I took 2 steps and fell on the pick- It stuck in my leg and I pulled it out. No biggie- hell, didnt even need a band aid- Couple of Coleman Route people axed me what was wrong and why was my leg bleeding a oozing hole- Told them I stuck my leg and it was broken by the pick.