Tool Modification

debo

I've been climbing on BD Rages for the past couple of years and would really like to modify them to a more leashless style. Is this possible - does anybody have any input - are there any companies that make modular pieces for tools? This ice climbing thing is still pretty new to me, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

D

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

D- I know that Gadd's book on Ice/Mixed climbing has a pic of a modified Cobra with some added hand rests for matching, etc. Might want to take a look a that, if you haven't already. A couple of brews, and some spare parts from the garage or a local hardware store could come up with some interesting solutions.

Or, sell them off, and get a set of Quarks or Vipers, that they sell removable hand rests for. That way, you can still use them for the alpine, if you like. Hope this helps, even a little.

Cheers,

Chad

debo - I used conduit hangers for hand matching/triggers on my vipers. I have heard of people using them as well for the bottom of the shaft just like a Viper Fang on tools like Cobra's. Grivel also has their own triggers that they sell. Ask your local gear guru to see if they would fit on your tools.

I have the older CM Quarks (pre-trigger) and do the conduit thing as well on the bottom. The existing pinky rest works well to support the conduit. I think the rages have a smaller pinky rest/protector that would be similarly suited. I tried to make hand matching ones too but it was a massive pain in the ass. It seemed that they were in such a spot that they got bent every time I pulled over a bulge. Just go to Ace (skip Home Depot/Lowe's b/c it takes four hours to find anything and check out) and get some conduit hangers. Hacksaw off the kinked side to make a U. Then tape the hangers on the top of the pinky rest with some climbing tape. Cover it with electrical tape for water resistance and go climbing. This will be enough to get you sufficiently addicted so you will gladly sell plasma for a new set of tools.

Edited by sitandbefit

I came up with an alternative idea, but I need someone to tell me if its stupid: how about using hockey tape for a custom grip, creating a pinky and index rest from a conduit hanger (some have used a sawed off BD Ice Clipper), and then instead of taping everything with electrical tape - use spray rubber to coat everything. It will take a few coats. I've used spray rubber on my wrenches at home and it works great.

Unleash your fury.

Derek

Edited by debo