any unemployed science geeks out there?

minx

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont remember the specifics, but it was for some type of bench chemist job. Organic synthesis of some type. I think on organic dyes, but I dont really know.

Wow. That's amazingly low for that kind of work. Must be some folks willing to work for that, I suppose.

When I was finishing up at UW there were miscellaneous consulting outfits and Wall Street quant-shops recruiting chem grads for their analytical skills, so there are other options.

I think that in general the more interesting and rewarding a job is, the lower the pay. The pay-to-IQ/skill ratio in basic research is probably the lowest anywhere, but there's still a surplus of people who are passionate enough to accept those terms.

I think that in general the more interesting and rewarding a job is, the lower the pay. The pay-to-IQ/skill ratio in basic research is probably the lowest anywhere, but there's still a surplus of people who are passionate enough to accept those terms.

Yeah, passionate about being geeks! wazzup.gif

The pay-to-IQ/skill ratio in basic research is probably the lowest anywhere, but there's still a surplus of people who are passionate enough to accept those terms.

In the basic research labs I come in contact with they are only putting in their dues until something brighter comes along (except for a few who like the lifestyle of working 30hrs/week)

General is the key word. Jobs that are dull, dirty, dangerous - or a combination of all three generally pay pretty well, because they have to to attract workers. Not true at the other end of the spectrum.

There's a reason that they guys handling the biohardous waste that research labs crank out probably make more than the guys in the white coats that are generating it....

I have to admit I'm pretty close to leaving basic research, which is really too bad because I'm pretty gifted at it and work hard and most of all enjoy it. I also expect to get paid though which is the rub. Of course between two wars and lots of natural disasters maybe the government has already made up my mind for me, it's a lot easier to quit when there is no salary for you!

60 is closer to the norm.

Where? Pre-tenure academia, yes. More than that for grad students.

Corporate closer to 40-50 depending.

Government research labs are closer to 30 in my experience. Los Alamos, Livermore and the like. A former boss termed them "welfare for scientists"