lockers on screamers?

jesselillis

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

All non locking biners, even wiregates can flutter and come unclipped. I took a huge fall earlier this summer on mescalito and a biner on the cam below the one that caught me cam off. it was an oval wiregate bd. thank god that #0 metolius held me wink.gif. anyhow use a locker if you are concerned but I think it is pretty rare for this to happen.

All non locking biners, even wiregates can flutter and come unclipped. I took a huge fall earlier this summer on mescalito and a biner on the cam below the one that caught me cam off. it was an oval wiregate bd. thank god that #0 metolius held me wink.gif. anyhow use a locker if you are concerned but I think it is pretty rare for this to happen.

I have no doubt about what you said about the biner coming off and I have my suspicions that they can come unclipped easier than solid gate biner, but I'd have to disagree with you about wiregates fluttering. I have seen and heard numerous instances of the biner below the one that caught a fall coming off and even experienced a case of a biner coming off both the rope and the piece (Tricam) - but none of them were from flutter but rather from the loading process which seems somehow different for that second piece than the one that initiates catching the fall or the ones below it. Odd but it is pattern that I've seen over the years. The second one down is getting snapped hard from a "limp" position by both sides of the rope and no matter how it's clipped it can end up going through some pretty peculiar gyrations on the way to being fully loaded. I certainly can't prove any of this but over decades I've seen a pattern of some pretty strange things happen to the second piece down that doesn't seem to happen to the ones below it which typically just get lifted out if anything goes wrong with them.

Where did you take the dive on Mescalito? The small Metolius' are pretty bombproof...