Miles Davis

bunglehead

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Miles Davis can almost be thought of as several musicians, rather than one. He was constantly remaking himself and moving from one style to another. He never stood still. Every albumn is different from the one before it. If you don't like one of them, chances are you'd like some of the others.

(snip)

His final project "Doo Bop" is a good example of this.

1054678.jpg

Miles Davis can almost be thought of as several musicians, rather than one. He was constantly remaking himself and moving from one style to another. He never stood still. Every albumn is different from the one before it. If you don't like one of them, chances are you'd like some of the others.

(snip)

His final project "Doo Bop" is a good example of this.

1054678.jpg

Except that no one liked that album, as far as I know. That's the one with the terrible rapping, right?

People used to ask Miles why he had that raspy voice of his. He stated in his biography that it was a result of a surgery. I think it was from smoking weed almost continually. The same reason why Louis Armstrong had his distinctive gravelly voice.

"Miles also had a pimp's voice, the voice Amiri Baraka once described as his "hipster foghorn bass." That raspy whisper resulted from Miles's supposedly screaming at a promoter too soon after throat surgery."

A side note:

"BILLY CRYSTAL relates that Louis Armstrong came to a seder at Crystal's childhood home. He was a guest of Crystal's uncle, the famous music producer MILT GABLE. Armstrong, of course, was noted for his very raspy voice. Crystal's grandmother came up to Armstrong and said, "Louis, have you ever tried just clearing your throat, just coughing it up?"

>Except that no one liked that album, as far as I know. That's the one with the terrible rapping, right?

It's one of the more approachable of Miles' posthumous albums. If you gloss over the rapping, it's quite an inspired series of pieces. But Tutu and Aura - which followed - were far less, ahm, genial.

As for meeting musicians, I once sat next to Maynard Ferguson on a flight between Montreal and Chicago. A very interesting and intelligent person - well travelled too.