Delta from space

foraker

my office mate from grad school has a sciencey blog and he brought this image to my attention. basically, the lousiana delta region, post-katrina. note how the levees around NO have basically stopped sediment deposition in the proximal delta region. there's the root of your disaster right there. he said mexico has a mini-version of the same thing going on there right now but that nothing will be done about it since the local forces of real estate development want nothing more than to keep the forces of nature at bay. therefore, the local mayor also is in league with them. thus, the feds do nothing. bush may get a black eye on this, but there's plenty o blame to go around.

Image-001.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Mississippi River is the Army Corps' pet project. It's pretty much the classic example of how forcing a river to do something it doesn't want to do will lead to problems (but it does keep a bunch of people employed). The Yangtze will probably surpass the infamy of the Mississippi in the coming years.

It's only the CoE's "pet project" because some bunch of idiots a few hundred years ago decided they needed a city built below sea level next to a pre-existing delta in a hurricane zone.

And I don't doubt that the Chinese will experience a similar altering of the natural environment that they don't yet realize.

Yah, whatever. rolleyes.gif I just get really fucking sick of people lambbasting the Corps of Engineers about how they killed the salmon, or how they let New Orleans flood, or whatever the rant du jour is.

Fact remains that the CoE operates under the Army, which is directed by the Commander in Chief. If ya wanna blame someone, blame him, and all his predecessors.

Oh, BTW, the Bureau of Reclamation killed the salmon when they built Grand Coulee Dam, not the Corps. Every Corps dam ever built on the Columbia and Snake River mainstems has had fish ladders/preservation planned in at the design level and constructed as a necessary part of the project. The P.U.D. dams and those by the BoR did not. In particular, the BoR eliminated it from Grand Coulee because it was deemed to be too expensive.

So lay the fuck off the Corps. Fact is, you probably wouldn't be living the high life in the PNW if it wasn't for them. You know, irrigation water, plentiful crops/agriculture, cheap power, wines, microbrews... all that shit that we can live without.