Beacon - first timer

OlegV

Here again, I am in brief poetic mood. Last Saturday Eric, Dan and I climbed the Beacon Rock. I was a first timer there. Now I see why people come back there over and over again. No questions, Beacon has the best rock around. Up there, sitting at the ledge and gazing at the Columbia River, time and the world itself are brought to a halt. And you just want to stay There forever...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here again, I am in brief poetic mood. Last Saturday Eric, Dan and I climbed the Beacon Rock. I was a first timer there. Now I see why people come back there over and over again. No questions, Beacon has the best rock around. Up there, sitting at the ledge and gazing at the Columbia River, time and the world itself are brought to a halt. And you just want to stay There forever...

You haven't climbed at Lightning Dome yet, have you, Oleg? That could change your view... I'm not shitting on Beacon or anything like that...

Lightning Dome is on the SF of the Clearwater River south of Grangeville, just off US 95. It's about 75 miles south of Lewiston, ID.

Here's a pic of one of my friends following me up Bastille (5/6 pitches, 5.8 A0, 5.9+, 5.11) from back in the early 1990s (those are cars down there in the shade by the river):

201Bastille_Wall_01_Lightning_Dome-med.jpg

And another from the same time period when I claimed the FNA of Midnight Fright (5.9):

My poor belayer... nothing but butt shots for her... blush.gifpitty.gif

201Midnight_Fright_FNA_Lightning_Dome-med.jpg

And another from the Bastille:

201Bastille_Wall_02_Lightning_Dome-med.jpg

And yet one final one of me on the upper arch pitch of Bastille:

201Bastille_Wall_03_Lightning_Dome-med.jpg

Now you are getting the idea...?

Lightning Dome is on the SF of the Clearwater River south of Grangeville, just off US 95. It's about 75 miles south of Lewiston, ID.

Now you are getting the idea...?

More.

Please.

And hand me a Kleenex, ahhhhhhhoohhhhhhhh, clean Granite!

No need for the Kleenex now. grin.gif

billcoe,

I just got my pics back from Costco over lunch today, and I'll be putting together a TR from my trip over the Labor Day weekend. Look for it in the "California (and everywhere else!)" forum soon. I'm uploading the photos to the gallery now...

ivan,

Never said it was local. It takes me 3.5 hours to get there, but I feel it's well worth the drive.