Bill Fryberger

gyselinck

Anyone know of this guy. I did a climb a week ago and found a summit register with only one entry, signed by him in 1976. My partner (cook) did some reaserach and found someone who thinks they've heard of him. They said he was a soloist, who did most of his routes solo. They also said he ended up dying while soloing a route on Mount Adams. Anyone know anything of this. I am just interested in the history, thats all.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The most rockfall I've ever had or been involved in on any route in the cascades was on the Lava HW. But like sobo said, Ivan, there are some classic climbs on the north and east side of adams. Take a look at the Lyman and Wilson Glaciers or even Stormy Monday and the NFNWR. Heck there are even classic volcanic piles (umm headwalls) further east.

RIP Bill Fryberger

Edited by AllYouCanEat

My trip up the North Lyman Glacier was my most memorable ascent of Mt. Adams, ever. It even eclipsed the trip up the Adams Glacier Icefall two years earlier, a route that I thought I would never put beneath another for that particular mountain. Now I want to get around to the east side... Durned In'juns...

I never climbed with Bill, but met him briefly. He climbed a lot with a mutual friend from back in the day, Paul Hickenbottom. Fryberger and Ball did a new variation on the NW Buttress of Goode, and he and another guy did the FA of the couloir just left of the NE Buttress of Goode. Among other things, I'm sure.