I am the snaffle assassin!

Kraken

I didn't read your post very carefully the first time. It seemed unwarranted and too lengthy. I reread it carefully and now understand your point.

Thank you.

Are you going to post your next opinion in hieroglyphics?

Unwarranted.

snaf.gifsnaf.gifsnaf.gifsnaf.gifsnaf.gifsnaf.gifsnaf.gifsnaf.gifsnaf.gifsnaf.gifsnaf.gifsnaf.gifsnaf.gifsnaf.gifsnaf.gifsnaf.gifsnaf.gifsnaf.gifsnaf.gifsnaf.gifsnaf.gifsnaf.gif

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, the topic was skwerls or "snaffles". What's the derivation of that word? I ask in a sincere polite way.

The best and safest way to deal with skwerls is to set out as many havahart traps that you figure you need, baited with a little pb. To keep expenses down, you can drown the skwerls by dropping the cage in any large container. A garbage can, horse trough, pond, creek. Whatever you have. I don't like to watch them drown so I finish them with a pellet gun instead. I live in an urban area and can't use a real firearm on my property

During the winter and spring, I use what I call my bird-proof skwerl feeder. It's an 8' long tube around 4" in diameter made of heavy gauge 1/4" mesh, the kind you use for sifting garden soil. I wrap the center with 2' of visqueen to keep the rain from ruining the bait that's placed in a heavy bowl in the center. Then I just lash the tube, with duct tape, to a 10' 2" by 6" or 12". I also wrap the ends of the tube with heavy canvas and cut a slit in the ends. Birds won't enter but skwerls will. Skwerls love a challenge.

The bait it just a mixture of Decon green pellet rat and mouse poison mixed with peanut butter. It's best to dump the Decon in boiling water and let it soften into a mush before you mix it with the pb. Don't use your oatmeal pot... If it isn't in a very mushy form the skwerls will carry it off which may pose a threat to other living things. You also have to put the bait in a very heavy container or secure it very well as you see fit. They will try to drag the whole container away if they can and this may pose a hazard as well.

I don't reccomend this system if you or your neighbors have kids, pets... you have to use good sense and consider every possibility. Predatory birds or even the guy next doors dog might get sick when the rat crawls over there and die in its dining area.

Skwerls are diurnal so if you give a rats ass about skunks, possum, racoons or other things that creep in the night you should secure you traps and "feeder" in the evening. I put mine in the garage.

There are a lot of scams around that claim to repel skwerls. None of them work. When the skwerl population explodes in an urban area it has to be thinned out. The remaining skwerls are healthy and nonevasive.

I was looking around and noticed that many here like to wax poetic. Here's one of my favorite skwerl poems.

I hate the little skwerly thing

ugly little rat!

I'd like to knock him from the tree

and feed him to a cat.

That's if the cat would eat him,

I don't think he will

the pointy claws and bushy tail

would make the kitty ill.

I hate the little skwerly thing

with eyeballs all agog,

I'd like to knock him to the ground

and feed him to the dog.