Colchuck -Dragontail questions

chesterboo

I am thinking of going up Colchuck glacier and doing the scramble route up Colchuck and then over to Drangontail and down Asgaard back to Colchuck lake. Is camping at the Colchuck Col on the first day and then doing the 2 peaks in the am a reasonable plan? Or should I just camp at Colchuck lake and go light the next day and do the whole circle and back to the lake? Any suggestions would be helpful. I have done Dragontail in past up Asgaard and the scramble route so I am relatively familiar with the area. thanks all.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope it's not too late to tell you this but you don't want any part of the Dragontail glacier right now. We were sitting under a huge boulder putting our crampons on when a good chunk of this came down on us (you can't tell from the pic but I'm talking refrigerator sized rocks):

http://www.mountaingirl.net/enchantments05/temp/images/P8210032_JPG.jpg

There isn't a speck of snow and rocks are coming down constantly. Apparently there is a route you can take that goes around the back side of Little Annapurna but it looked like total crap to us.

About three weeks ago, I did what you are proposing except I made it all the way down to Asgard pass to camp the first night easily. In fact I took a nap at the col to let the heat of the day pass and started up Dragontail about 5PM. There was significant rock fall on the Colchuck glacier and I spent a good half hour scoping out a semi rock free route. Just left of middle worked but it was melting very fast and would be a different story now.

The snowfield on Dragontail was in good shape but that too was melting rapidly. Those blocks in Mountaingirl's photo are worth taking seriously. I would not go under them unless it was early AM after a cold night. Even then I would be moving fast. There is probably a way to do the traverse right now but it would be a lot more dangerous than when I did it. Good luck!

Yeah, Chester, I'd wait until next June for this one. The Colchuck glacier is shit and dangerous right now. Your plan is totally doable and will be more fun and safe in good conditions. Camp at the lake, then bag Colchuck via the std. route and Dragontail from the mellow gully on the back (which starts essentially across from the Colchuck/Dragontail Col on the back of Dragontail), then down Aasgard, pack up, and hike out.

Sharp