The Fifth Force stole my Quickdraw

flashclimber

My friend and I were up at Index today going for the Redpoint on Climax Control. For those who are unfamiliar with Index this is just right of the Cave (Heart of the Counrty area) and close to the the route called "The 5th Force." I went up to the crux and took a 10-12 foot fall. I asked to be lowered to make a 2nd attempt on the route. When I pulled the rope I noticed the 7th bolt was clean. There was no quickdraw left on it. My buddy asked me if I had cleaned that bolt when I was lowered. I didn't. I had just lowered and didn't touch anything. We thot maybe the draw had been knocked to the side and our visual was a little blurred. So Doug went up for his attempt. When he got to the 7th bolt it was missing the quickdraw. All the other 8 bolts had draws, only the 7th bolt was missing the draw. He placed a new draw on the bolt and finished the route.

When he got down we looked around for the draw. Nothing to be found.

Whats odd is that when I pulled the rope nothing came down with the rope. I definetly would have heard it clanking off the side of the wall if it fell. And I'm positive I would have seen it.

We checked and counted the draws again. We went up with 11 draws and ended up with 10.

And for those wondering it was a wiregate biner that clipped the bolt and a large DMM biner for the lower.

I've heard of weird things happening before around that cave but a diappearing quickdraw? confused.gifconfused.gif

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic