North Face of Shuksan

Skisports

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't been up there in a couple weeks, but....I've climbed as well as skied NF of Shuksan this time of year. I think your best bet is an evening approach up the valley. Bivy/rest for a few hours at the base of the route. Then go for it! This way you'll avoid the some of the major hazards of the White Salmon during the day. If you're really worried about it, you could keep way to the left on your approach up the valley. As long as you get several days of freeze/thaw cycles and start the route early, you should be OK. [big Grin]

[ 05-01-2002, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: savaiusini ]

Hey Skisports if you head up there I'd be really interested in a report about the conditions. I want to climb that route and would end up descending the W.Salmon, I think it might be best to summit really early and got down the glacier in the early morning hours to avoid any warming conditions from the days sun. Post your trip report if you would!

I have done the route before it is a great route i did it three years ago in july the route was great the bushwack sucked. I told myself I would not do it again late season only early season soo here I am doing it early season I will be going up there next weekend. I was going to do it this weekend but weather moved on in.

JJ-

I wouldn't sweat about the sun on the White Salmon Glacier. I've done both routes at this time of the year and that was not a problem as the glacier faces north or northwest. Sun on the summit pinnacle can be an issue, however. If there has been any precip in the prior several days, the summit will be rime encrusted and it will start shedding its load by late morning on a sunny day.

Matt

I skinned up Table mountain and Artist point on Wed. The snow was perfect for traveling, but as the day went on the snow got super slushy. Go early so the route is firm, Shuksan has alot of snow on it right now. It looks Super. I'm available Tues. and Wed. next week... Drop me a line if you need another partner! [big Drink]