[TR] Slesse- North Rib 8/6/2005

tyree

Climb: Slesse-North Rib

Date of Climb: 8/6/2005

Trip Report:

Jimbo and I climbed the N. Rib of Slesse this last weekend. This was my first time climbing Slesse and I had a blast!

.2465IMG_2454-med.JPG

The approach was straight forward after dropping off the bikes and drinking a few beers we left the Nesakwatch TH around 3 pm. The trail was cut back and quite nice. From the memoril site we dropped into the basin and traversed the L. flank of the basin, linking scree fields and creek beds to a steep 4th class coulior. This led to the slabs that we traversed to the glacier. The slesse glacier has paritally slid making the traverse easily done in tennis shoes. We crossed on a bench that ran under a little waterfall flowing from the glacier.

The bivi was flat and had running water 15 feet away.

Our bivi set up was minamalistic, belay jackets and long johns.

2465IMG_2461-med.JPG

"good night Jimbo"

2465IMG_2458-med.JPG

"good night Tyree"

We only had one jacket that we shared for the photos (just kidding)

We woke up after a long night off nodding in and out and left the bivi around 5:30 am

The first half of the route was "difficult to adequately protect", with runouts of 100' or more on some pitches.

2465IMG_2462-med.JPG

Jimbo up a the route about 1,200'

We decided to take a little break at this point of the day. After some food, smoke, shit, an hour later we were back on route. hellno3d.gif

This is where the climbing went from sustained to very sustained. The protection became a little better but there were still long runouts and many placements and holds needed to be gardened.

The overall quality of the rock was good but there were sections that had some heinous loose blocks. Jimbo sent one down that missed my head by about 5'. ooo.gifThere was plenty of ice and rock being shed by the frasier rib and sno fields flanking it.

We reached the notch around 5:30 pm and were faded, an escape would have been easy but we pesevered to the summit. There is some wild and exposed climbing up here, definatly worth the effort.

We finally topped out just after 8pm

2465IMG_2473-med.JPG

2465IMG_2475-med.JPG

We made the raps with little incident except for getting the rope stuck on the 1st one. I climbed up 40' freed the rope and down climbed in tennis shoes. hellno3d.gif

We finished the last rap just as it got totally dark. instead of making the decent in the dark we decided to hunker down for another long night out with no bags.

2465IMG_2484-med.JPG

"good night Jimbo"

2465IMG_2485-med.JPG

"good night Tyree"

in the morning we pounded down the trail to the bikes and the 15 mile ride back to the car. I spared Jim the final 8 or so miles and continued on while he chilled with the packs.

This is a kick ass mountian adventure with very sustained climbing on a huge peak. Thanks for the good times Jimbo!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, there isnt THAT much loose rock considering the length of the route. From what I understand is that this route is far better in terms of rock quality and climbing quailty than that of the NE butt . What I dont understand is, being the same grade, why doesnt it see the same amount of traffic that the NEB does? All in all this route kicks ass and deserves to be a classic !!! rockband.gif