highway 20/Cascade river road

philfort

Just a heads up to anyone thinking of heading up to highway 20 for some climbing. You might want to call ahead, because the highway is currently closed between Newhalem and Diablo (unless you be a Diablo resident) due to avalanche danger. The ranger I talked to yesterday did not know when it was scheduled to reopen. Unfortunately, this isn't mentioned on the DOT information line, or on any park service phone recordings, so you'd have to talk to a real person to find out. grrrr....You could drive around the sign, it's not gated or anything, but there's probably a good chance you'll get caught (and last time I violated a road closure, I got a $100 fine, so we didn't bother).

So dbb and I checked out Cascade River rd instead. It is plowed to somewhere between the 6 and 7 mile mark. There's about 2 feet of snow beyond. Shortly thereafter, there are several trees across the road, and once you reach the Lookout Mtn trailhead (about 1/4 mile from the end of the plowed road), there is a tree that is big enough to prevent snowmobile access. So if you were, say, going to try to ski the N Face of Buckner wink.gif" border="0 , you'd have about 16 miles on foot before reaching the Cascade Pass parking lot.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by specialed:
Which ever one's the loudest, of course.
[hell no]

Look here office boy. I'm sure you sit at your desk and dream of running power tools, but if you actually worked for a living you would understand where I'm comming from. mad.gif" border="0

Whining sound "waaaa call up the building manager how am I suppose to work its too cold in here waaa... someone took the last doughnut waaa..." tongue.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0

AlpineBitch: I work construction in the summer building houses in the Methow Valley. Which I find rather amusing since your profile says your an "arborist"

"Which flower should I plant today... the pink one or the purple one. Oh the purple one is sooo pretty, but I like the way the purple on looks with my eyes...."

(But if someone did take the last donut I would be pissed mad.gif" border="0 "