Shuksan's summit pyramid- how hard is it really??

plark42

Hello CCers-

I am planning to climb shuksan in a few weeks via the sulphide glacier, and I wanted to get a better idea of what the summit scramble is like.. I've heard everything from easy class 3 gully to exposed class 4 with a few low class 5 moves on slanted ramps. I just wanted some info or pictures from fellow CC'ers about the scramble. (trying to decide whether or not to bring some rock pro).

Thanks snaf.gif

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I climbed it on 7/16 and had to turn the group back without summitting the pyramid becasue of steep snow that was still in the gully. mad.gif The snow was steep, very poor to protect and had a lousy run-out. However, it may be melted out by now. Once dry, the gully should be a straight-forward scramble.

The SE ridge is an option and goes 5.5 with some steep exposure. We did not have the right gear or pro.

Snow gully on Pyramid

shuksans031.jpg

SE Ridge goes about 5.5

shuksans033.jpg

Edited by klawatti

I just did it solo this morning--see my T.R. Seriously, once you're on route, it never goes above class 4 in the standard central gulley. There's always a convenient ledge to catch the highly improbable slip, and the scrambling itself is pure pleasure--lots of jug handles and bomber footholds. I'm not a serious rock climber. I've never owned a pair of rock shoes, and have never ventured above 5.7 routes in my Frankenstein signature Vasque moutaineering boots, and honestly, once I was on the route, I couldn't see what all the fuss was about. It took about 20 minutes.--cheers bigdrink.gif