mec

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

olyclimber stated:

FYI, the Ming Dynasty ended in 1644, though claims to the throne survived until 1662.

sobo replied:

Yes, I remember hearing that, but I don't recall why or who the claimants were. Need to go back and listen to those tapes again.

A little review of my materials indicates that in the spring of 1644, Li Zicheng, a leader of the largest army of the Manchus, a multi-ethnic alliance formed by a Jurchen named Nurhaci from northern China, attacks and captures Beijing, and sets himself up in a new dynasty called the Qing. The last Ming emperor committed suicide by hanging, rather than be captured by Li. The remnants of this last emporer's court fled south to Nanjing.

The Qing conquered all of China over the next ~20 years, finally catching up with the Ming court in exile, and capturing the last of the Ming princes and executing them in 1660. The remaining Ming loyalists, now without a hereditary leader, retreated to what is today Taiwan and created a fortified retreat there, continuing to purport that they were the legitimate rulers of China, until in 1683, the last of the challengers were "suppressed" by the Qing.