pulling plastic surpasses real rock climbing in WA

shapp

Face climbing isn't crack climbing, granite isn't sandstone and indoor isn't outdoor; it seems pretty obvious. Besides Stone Gardens does have an outdoor climbing area. Is the UW rock real? Does it even matter?

Shades of Franky:

Information is

not knowledge

Knowledge is

not wisdom

Wisdom is not truth

Truth is not beauty

Beauty is not love

Love is not music

Music is THE BEST...

Wisdom is the domain

of the Wis

(which is extinct).

Beauty is a French

phonetic corruption

Of a short cloth

neck ornament

Currently in

resurgence...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Face climbing isn't crack climbing, granite isn't sandstone and indoor isn't outdoor; it seems pretty obvious. Besides Stone Gardens does have an outdoor climbing area. Is the UW rock real? Does it even matter?

yes--"gym" climbing being indoors or "out" is different than going out and climbing actual rock. even if we're just talking about cragging.

i'm sure that i'm not the only one that's seen some "straight from the gym" near catastrophes at our local crags.

Why is this surprising? In the gym, you connnect the technicolor magenta plastic holds whilst clipping the stupid-assed bolts every 3.2 feet. Out at the sport crag, the holds.......they's not color-coded! How primitive? The bolts is there, the holds ain't be obious, due to the lack of "trail markings". Thus the confusion and the proliferation of accidents.

That's what I was referring to.

Shit like "but tick marks were okay in the gym... why do you mean I can't do it at the crag?!?!?!"

it's a lot scarier than tick marks and that's what worries me sometimes. then again, i've been a total basket case lately, maybe i need to go hang out in the gym smirk.gif