[TR] Darrington- Three O'clock Rock 7/17/2005

Dr_Crash

Climb: Darrington-Three O'clock Rock

Date of Climb: 7/17/2005

Trip Report:

Yesterday was my first visit to Darrington. It is very nice. We started lazily rom Bothell at 9:15, drove ther and went to Three O'clock Rock. We climbed the first few pitches of Silent Running and the two-pitch 5.9 on the left of Under the Bored Walk (no name on mattps's topo).

It was a gorgeous day, as the huge sunburn on my leg shows. This was the first time I was leading on slabs (and one of my first few times leading altogether), and knowing how I am afraid of slabs (well, really, of cheese grating down one) and how much issues I have trusting my feet there, it was interesting. You could hear me mutter "trust your feet, trust your feet" (in English even) as I was going through some of the pretty long runouts there (or so it seemed). It was very nice though and totally worth it, as I will slowly build more confidence on slabs by doing more of this.

I'll definitely be back. Very pretty area, not many parties around there, gorgeous views.

We brought back trash found close to the trail, semi-hidden behind a tree. thumbs_down.gif Please keep the sites clean.

Gear Notes:

Small rack to 3"

Top from mattp's Web site. Thanks Matt.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 5.9 left of Under the Bored Walk can easily be done in 1 long pitch. I recommend doing it this way. Stopping at the intermediate anchors kind of splits some of the harder moves on the route. It is fun to just push through.

Darrington is great!

I had taken pants exactly for that reason, but somehow got convinced they'd be too hot and switched to shorts. (There is a fine line between brave and stupid, too.)

Yes, Darrington is cool, and leading a 150 ft pitch is nice too smile.gif Ended up with a dry mouth at the anchors, which I take as a need to build more confidence, i.e. get out more.

drC

How much does it cost?

About the cheese grater: I saw my partner fall on lead there and grind her fingers down to little nubs, leaving red crayon marks all the way down the wall there, over about 15-20 feet -- it was bleak. cry.gif

You have a way with words. That imagry is just freaking me out man. I didn't need that.

Darrington is a relatively low elevation climbing area and it can get HOT on sunny summer days.

If you go for Dreamer on a sunny day, you'll get FRIED because you'll be in full sun from the very start of the day untill about 4:00 p.m. Take plenty of water and bring sun-protective cloting (not just sunscreen).

The same is true for Three O'Clock Rock, though the climbs there are short enough that you can climb them in the late afternoon when the sun is less intense or maybe the rock is in shade and if you start in the morning you can climb a couple of pitches and retreat to the shade if necessary.

If climbing Blueberry Hill on a predicted sunny day, start very early. The sun is in full blast by noon.

Sunshine is fine, but be prepared. Also, don't be discouraged by the idea that Darrington is in a wet area and marginal forecasts should be avoided. Cloudy days, when there is little or no moisture predicted, can be good days at DTOWN!

(By the way, Dave's CD is AWESOME, and well worth the $. If you just want to check out Darrington for a day, you can get the information you need at my website Darrington Rock Climbing web page but if you really want to explore Darrington, I'd recommend Dave's CD. The climbs at The Comb, for example, are presented nowhere else and some of them are really really good. Dave's art and his knowledge of the area cannot be beat.)

About the cheese grater: I saw my partner fall on lead there and grind her fingers down to little nubs, leaving red crayon marks all the way down the wall there, over about 15-20 feet -- it was bleak. cry.gif

shocked.gif Are kitchen rubber gloves aid? tongue.gif

drC