chinook

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it climb spec or mil spec 9/16?

Not that it should matter for 1 rap. Don't think i'd trust the mil spec 9/16, without a rap ring for more than 1 rap though. Stuff is pretty thin and it seems rope/sling friction would probably weakn it significantly, though the climb-spec should be fine for as long at 1 inch mil-spec.

9/16 & 1/2 inch rap sling weighs less, is less bulky and is more flexible when it comes to rapping off of jammed knots and similar trickery. it's certainly plenty strong enough for the forces that rapelling puts on it.

i imagine that 1" webbing is more durable on routes that see a lot of traffic, but to be honest, when i'm setting raps, i'm usually not too worried about subsequent parties. it's always a judgement call whether you are going to trust in situ rap slings, no different with thinner slings.

In the day we always used 1 inch for rap slings. I've been seeing 9/16 on alpine routes and would like to hear some comments...
9/16 is fine with or without rap rings. Some of my runners are sewn spectra but I always carry some tied 9/16 climb spec nylon runners for rappels, when necessary.

I've had 9/16 mil spec almost compleltly severe do to rubbing and sharp edges after one use. This was used on make-shift aiders and hook ties. I avoid using it except for utility purposes. I've rapped off the stuff through a bolt when retreating(wimping out) on a route before, but I wouldn't use it around a tree or rock as friction and pressure may severe it, even on one use.

I think the climbing spec is ok for whatever.

Edited by Bill_Simpkins