Warning: Thievery in Tieton Valley

I just found out that two friends from Whitefish had the following stolen from the free campground just west of Windy Point on the south side of the river. I think this was Sunday May 22nd.

- Bibler Fitzroy - brand new big and yellow

- Matching 0 degree sleeping bags - one each

- Down parka - brand new

- miscellaneous doo dads, fleece, gloves, headlamps...

We climbed with them that morning, went out for lunch and wished them well on their dream vacation. When they got to the campground somebody swiped their gear.

These guys were the coolest of people, not rich and not deserving of this ill deed. Matt was a week away from leaving for a trip to Denali. Fortunately, he's there now and this didn't thwart his plans. I hope the people who did this get their due justice madgo_ron.gif

Anyway, just a lesson to us all not to leave stuff in the free campgrounds with questionable neighbors.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this blows serious goats, and I'm ashamed to be a part of the human race when this shit happens. I leave my tent, sleeping bag, beer cooler, etc. out for days when I'm in the backcountry, but if I'm anywhere within the stumbling limits of a white-trash, mullet-wearing, drunked-up redneck from his pick-up truck, I pack all my shit back up into the rig each morning and set it up again that night at the CG. Just me, but I've never been pinched yet. I don't trust people around my shit unattended at any CG that's vehicle accessible.

Toast, I have grown cynical with age. I sincerely hope that you do not.

There you go, Larry, just blame the victim. I'm sure he'll be more careful next time.

We were at that same camping area about three weeks ago. We arrived Friday afternoon and set up a couple of tents to claim a nice site, after which we went climbing. When we came back we were approached by a gentleman who had been staying in his motor home. He had seen some guys in a red pickup truck park near out camp. He noticed them approaching our tents so he walked over to see what they were up to. They quickly got into their truck and hightailed it out of there.

All we had left were our tents and they were both inexpensive car camping tents. Glad we didn't leave anything else.

When we came back we were approached by a gentleman who had been staying in his motor home. He had seen some guys in a red pickup truck park near out camp. He noticed them approaching our tents so he walked over to see what they were up to. They quickly got into their truck and hightailed it out of there.

what a nice guy! he's probably seen it before and it's very cool that he was willing to do something about it. thumbs_up.gif

toast

whats your point? i have a bibler that i take on road trips, but i still dont use it to car camp when i am on those road trips, even if i plan on using the bibler in the high country on that same trip.

I was with Toast and know the victims. His point was these folks were on a road trip, with their truck packed full of gear and maybe they didn't have the luxury of space or money to bring two tents!