out in the lab

erik

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive used the method for rapping many times: when I take one of the ellensburg honeys climbing; I stick them with the gri gri and Im not about to let them lower me. Then when I get down I tie thier knot for them, attach the chalk bag, and double back thier harness- easy way to cop a feel. Ive never had a problem. For some reason they never go with me again...?

[This message has been edited by Charlie (edited 04-24-2001).]

i think charlie was meaning homey's tongue.gif and that is why he can never get anyone to go with him. cause the chicks in e-burg are scandalous and don't mind a little cop feeling!?

charlie is vp sill alive- i heard that he was abducted by aliens.

The Munter will work for a double rope rapell, but it may be difficult to generate the brake force for a nice controlled descent. As Mr. Glacier noted - it will really twist your rope and produce a lot of heat.

Erik,

Your carabiner will get real warm, but the ropes should be ok, as with other rapel systems. With the Munter, even though the rope runs across rope, it's always moving to a new spot so it doesn't damage the rope. Surprisingly, you can even control(eliminate)the twisting by playing with the angle you feed the rope with the brake end. I think it's a viable emergency rapel system, and a good lowering method, that is smooth and easy to control. Playing, testing is fun.

so i was out in the lab the other nite screwing around with hauling and rappeling and trying to generate different fall forces with different anchors and knots. pretty fun stuff.

the real question is with the munter. i know that it is a mutli directional belay knot. and you can single rope rap with it in certain situations. though the thing that i wondered most about is, can you do a safe double rope rappell? please don't tell me that i should learn the biner brake any of that stuff(cause i already know it!) i plan on never doing this in the field, but personal knowledge and fucking shit up is always fun. i only have a limited distance to rap. so the testing is limited. plus i don't want any system to fail above 15ft. we screwed around with ice screws & spectere this winter. sketchy! i did generate a fair amount of heat so i was wondering the possibilites of melting the rope. with limited success i used two and three locking biners' to attempt to dissapte the heat. all i did with that was burn my self three times.

if you have any info let me know.

plus i am always looking for funny stuff so i will allow ridiculous posts and spray to flow freely.

in second note does anyone else like to do this stuff?

Erik,

I have done a double-rope rap on a munter, although it was a number of years ago, so I don't recall if I used a single biner or a pair. The rap was a full rope-length and partially free-hanging. I don't remember if it built up much heat, but the ropes did get quite a bit of twisting and fuzzed up pretty well. I wouldn't recommend it except in an emergency.