rapping off Whitehorse

knotzen

Has anybody summitted Whitehorse around this time of year? Did you need to do a double-rope rappel? Three of us going next week and the trip leader wants to take two ropes. Waiting to hear back on the 'why,' but I figure he must be expecting to do a double-rope rap off the summit block.

Yeah, I'm new here, so be nice, OK? OK. Glad that's settled. smirk.gif

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it may be more than half a rope length if you rappel directly off the summit, but maybe 50 feet west I think it is less. I didn't see any anchors because it was covered in crusty snow when I was there, and it was only slightly scary downclimbing it in ski boots. There is a moat right there, so you are not worried about taking the big ride, but it could be a nasty little fall.

When we did it there happened to be another team so we put our ropes together which elimintaed some 50 degree downclimbing... so although we used 2 ropes although it wasn't entirely necessary. A single 60 will get you down to some steepish downclimbing. We climbed it in Mid-March of last year.

Wait...Whitehorse Mountain by Darrington? What route? The standard "glacier" route from either the trail or snow gulch? If that is what you are doing I dont see why you would need to repell anything, let along with two ropes.

When I did it the summit was simple a few feet of steep snow climbing followed by like 2 feet of rock. I can't attest to later in the year but nothing like a rope was nescessary nor have I heard of people using them on Whitehorse.

In any event, use your own discrecsion and certainly dont leave safety gear home on my recommendation. bigdrink.gif

I have the same recollection as Josh. I few feet of not that steep snow followed by a little scramble and it was done. I do remember seeing some webbing around a horn and thinking what was somebody doing repelling this? If you want to bring a rope you will not be the first group to do so, but we made it without one.

Well, we're bringing one rope, because we'll be crossing the glacier (although I've heard it's basically a snowfield this time of year). I'll recommend against taking along a second rope--why should 3 people be carrying 2 ropes? I don't think it will be necessary.

Thanks all. cool.gif

It was pretty steep when we were there. Plus the snow was kind of rotting. Here is a picture of the rappel. I have heard of people rappeling and/or turning around due to steepness without a rope:

rappel1_bob.jpg

But it's true, a 25 meter rappel is enough to get past the really steep part. bigdrink.gif

That was a good read. But dang, just to comment from the peanut gallery, rappelling in complete darkness is just asking to get hung up somewhere, as they did. It's not like you can pretend you'll make it to the car before morning with such fumblings. So just wait it out. I'd much rather wave the helicopter away in the morning as I descended correctly thanks to light. Anyway, glad they made it safely.