Bee careful

K_Y_L_E

get it bee careful.....whatever

Heard this last night on AM radio, interesting.

Apparently over 50% of californias honeybee population has died in the last 6 months. This is due to some asian mite that is killing them. The mite is resistant to pesticides. The effects of this would be severly diminished seeded fruit crops (berries, watermellons, citrus, etc) to the point where the would just not be available anymore. But one of the biggest worries is for the almond growers of california, who produce 80% of the WORLDS almond crop. I guess this is not isolated to California either (worldwide problem). It has gotten so bad that California is asking that anyone who has hives heed that call. Anyone hear about this?

Wacky I tell ya!!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That or something similar struck here a while back. Pretty much did in the local beekeepers. Besides honeybees I notice that mud dauber Wasps are in short supply. I'm curious why Yellow Jacket and bald faced Hornet populations seem unaffected.

I wouldn't be suprised if pesticides and all that other junk are a big part of the problem.

I thought that mason bees were a solitary species that reproduce by boring a hole in rotten wood and laying a single egg in each.

Not according to the research I came across last night. I happened across a website for a hive designed for mason bees that is similar to the one that was on my house when we bought it.