Overexcitedness to Climb

layton

I admit it...

I get way overexcited to climb. I approach on being a stalker when I call my partners repeatedly over and over again to get them to climb. I may also attempt things over my head sometimes (including several inappropriate solos).

I am paying for one of these cases right now by being super sick. I really should've listened to my body last weekend, instead of trying Prussik w/ a cold. I blame it mostly on this site, and those pesky guidebook photos.

But, being overexcited to climb can get you places you didn't think you could previously go. Sometimes taking risks that equal your motivation can push your climbing to a new level.

So I say, go for it...those of you who aren't sure if they should try that climb, lead that pitch, or try a new type of climbing. BUT, when you get fucked, you can only blame yourself. Also, make sure your partner is fully aware of what you talked him/her into.

ex, "Dude, it totally should be in" = "I don't car if it's in or not, let's go anyway"

"Dude, it doesn't get all that much snow" = "I've ignored the avalanche warnings, let's go anyway"

"It looks like a short crux" = "I hope I don't fall on that runout, over my ability section"

"I'm good" = "I'm not ok, but your not ok either and I want to look better than you"

"Dude, let's go for it" = "You've already said you don't want to go for it, and I certainly don't want to go for it, but if I say this, you'll be the one who turned us around!"

etc...

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Erik has some herbal medicine that will calm you down and rein in your racing overmotivation.

Face facts except for skiing NOTHING much will be in in the next two months. Prepare for lots of tool sharpening and hiking in the rain masquerading as "training". Maybe you can wrangle a gig as a GoreTex jacket tester if you need to justify to others a strange desire to play in the rain and climb muddy wet cracks with ice tools.

The Rockies is a parallel universe and I wont be there for a month and a half anyways. I know they have ice but it is only to compensate for the fact we got all the granite.

1.5 months rounds up to 2 so my point is still valid unless Santa brings ice to Lillooet early.

quote:

Originally posted by Muffy The Wanker Sprayer:

We learned at Smith this trip that over arousal for a climb can be detrimental to you performance
[Wink]

Who got overaroused and shot their wad too early instead of holding on to a satisfactory completion? [big Grin] By which I mean it sounds like you mean somebody was psyched about the send but fell off at the last bolt [laf]

[laf][laf][laf] TLG For shame! Outing Tex [Razz] like that [Wink]

It was funny, and the better you know Tex the funnier it is [big Grin]

but it is true, If you are too amped up to do something ( [Wink] ) you will blow your wad too soon, or fall off the climb or make your final push in a race too soon...