• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Fuggedaboudit

Liberty Ridge Mid-May- Route Questions!

if they were REALLY cool they'd tapdance all the way up!

...Wusses!

smile.gif

A friend of mine climbed the route several years ago, and was surprised, when, above Thumb Rock, he was passed by a skiier on his way down... shocked.gif

I like this thread. You have a raft of local climbers advising against climbing the route due to safety concerns and you have some non-locals who are completely disregarding the advice.

Well put. bigdrink.gif

Hello capitalists!

Just because you're a local doesn't mean you know more about liberty ridge and have more experience.

I love that Pacific Northwest climbers attitude: We are the best. Bottom line is, who the fuck knows what conditions are going to be this year, but some must have a crystal ball.

Thank you for allow me to post.

Hello capitalists!

Just because you're a local doesn't mean you know more about liberty ridge and have more experience.

I love that Pacific Northwest climbers attitude: We are the best. Bottom line is, who the fuck knows what conditions are going to be this year, but some must have a crystal ball.

You're right. I don't suppose that living near the mountain yields any more information. Thanks for clearing that up.

Hello capitalists!

From reading S&R reports over the years, there does seem to be a theme of people coming from other parts of the country either underestimating the route, their abilities, and/or trying to rush a summit bid instead of taking the mountain on its own terms and waiting for a favorable weather window.

As for the "crystal ball", isn't that how the thread started? When someone asks how it will be in the future, that naturally sends up warning flags. The mountain makes its own damn weather and conditions change daily.

From reading S&R reports over the years, there does seem to be a theme of people coming from other parts of the country either underestimating the route, their abilities, and/or trying to rush a summit bid instead of taking the mountain on its own terms and waiting for a favorable weather window.

As for the "crystal ball", isn't that how the thread started? When someone asks how it will be in the future, that naturally sends up warning flags. The mountain makes its own damn weather and conditions change daily.

Yup... and it looked kinda grumpy this morning.

The "non-refundable airline ticket" coupled with "... but it was my only time free" does seem to be a underlying issue with a lot of mishaps on that route, if you look deep enough for a root cause.

Not passing judgement... just saying that different people climb in different ways. Some on the mountain's terms, some on their own. Unfortunately, the mountain usually wins.

Let's send these groups some good thoughts this weekend and hope they have nothing but good stories to relay.

-kurt

Let's send these groups some good thoughts this weekend and hope they have nothing but good stories to relay.

Good stories, and a TR with photos. :-)