Cliff at N. end of Cle Elum Lake?

ApeMan

I was out checking the water levels on the cle elum river and cooper when I saw a nice looking cliff on the North end of Cle Elum Lake. I hiked up to check it out and saw several bolted routes that appeared to be 5.9 and under. One had an Old rope hanging from the anchors. Are these routes documented anywhere or do any of you know about these routes? They look like fun and I'd love to go back there some time to climb.

Thanks Larry

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I helped install one of the two pitch routes toward the south end of this crag. We guessed it to be about 10a. The first pitch starts in a corner of sorts and then face climbs up through a slight overhang. The second pitch climbs a face on positive edges to the top.

The originator of this route, Eric Hirst, also put in one or two others I never climbed. There were other people developing routes at the time.

Susan Bolton knows more, but last I heard, she wasn't talking.

I've climbed at the crag you mention.

It's perhaps worth stopping at on your way out from Mt.Daniel or maybe grabbing a beer or Pizza at Roslyn. The rock quality makes Vantage look like yosemite though.

____

It would be cool if somebody would open a nice spring/fall crag just on the east side of the pass right off I-90 for the rainshadow effect. It seems like the rain always stops right about the Easton exit? And for many puget sounders, Easton is less than 60 minutes away.

bigdrink.gif

It would be cool if somebody would open a nice spring/fall crag just on the east side of the pass right off I-90 for the rainshadow effect. It seems like the rain always stops right about the Easton exit? And for many puget sounders, Easton is less than 60 minutes away.

bigdrink.gif

I believe that very thing is occuring, I'm sure deets will be available soon enough... bigdrink.gif

I believe the 2 pitch route you mentioned is the one with a rope hanging off the first belay. It was still snowy at the base and lots of moss so I didn't get too close to the start of the route to really look at the rope.

I've climbed at Vantage and the Tieton and while this spot isn't as solid looking as the Tieton it's certainly as good as most of the routes I've seen at Vantage. Can't testify as to comparison to Yosemite, still waiting for my first trip down to that Valhalla.

The coolest thing I ever saw there was a snake catch a mouse, squeeze it to death while it squeeked and squirmed, then devour it for lunch. Okay, there is no guide book, I know a couple guys that put up some routes. I met a guy putting up, he said a 5.8 bolted route this summer on that first crag above water hole, alot of rock was falling in the process. There is another crag up further. Sticky rock, "adventure bolt climbing", no cracks. I think it is metamorphised andesite. Craig, do you maybe want to go there sometime after school?

• 1 month later...