Dru

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting the government to supply you with climbing gear thumbs_up.gif

Being used as a propaganda tool by the Nazis thumbs_down.gif

So it all balances out.

Oh wait, isn't Tommy Caldwell climbing to promote American freedom? The only US rock superstar to have killed an Islamic terrorist in single combat rolleyes.gif

Getting the government to supply you with climbing gear thumbs_up.gif

Being used as a propaganda tool by the Nazis thumbs_down.gif

eh, Harrer was the tool. Heckmair just went along for the ride . And last I checked the climbing gear was theirs - until they entered the military.

Occasional work as a ski instructor or mountain guide kept the wolf from the door until, in 1937, got an unusual break - a request to guide the actress-turned-film-maker Leni Riefenstahl, a favourite of Hitler's, on climbs in the Brenta Dolomites. Riefenstahl took a shine to Heckmair, with his chiselled features and daring reputation, and whisked her guide off to Nuremberg, where the pair stayed in the residence of the gauleiter (the infamous Julius Streicher), took tea with Hitler at the Deutscher Hof Hotel and then stood by his side on the balcony for a torch-light parade. For the first time in his life, Heckmair raised his hand in the Hitler salute.

The next 12 months of Heckmair's life have been trawled over by researchers trying to establish to what extent the North Face climb may have been state-sponsored, but the picture remains fuzzy. Riefenstahl took him to stay with her in Berlin, where he says he eschewed politics and city life for training for the Eiger. He returned to Bavaria that winter and worked as a ski instructor.

In the spring, he took up a post as a guide with the Ordensburg at Sonthofen in the Allgäu, little more than a grammar school in Heckmair's belated explanation, though Hitler envisaged these "Castles of the Order" turning out a generation that would "arise to cause the world to recoil in terror". Mountaineering was a means of toughening this future élite. Heckmair and Vörg, already working as a sports trainer at the Ordensburg, apparently declined direct funding for the Eiger but went off with the school's blessing and a stack of subsidised climbing gear.

wave.gif cj000001f

where the pair stayed in the residence of the gauleiter (the infamous Julius Streicher), took tea with Hitler at the Deutscher Hof Hotel and then stood by his side on the balcony for a torch-light parade. For the first time in his life, Heckmair raised his hand in the Hitler salute.

wave.gif cj000001f

ahh my revisionist neighbor to the north - ever seen pictures from the Berlin Olympics? Everyone gave the Hitler salute back then. Stop pissing on his grave for stupid revisionist bullshit. Great climber, good man, he didn't give a damn about politics - which can hardly be held against him, or are you going to start shitting on most climbers of today?

oh yeah, "hey everybody's doing it so it must be ok!"

nothing revisionist about noting he was willing to take a free ride from the nazis.

hey maybe the bush administration can use dean potter and chris sharma to promote the superiority of the american democracy to iraqis!

oh yeah, "hey everybody's doing it so it must be ok!"

nothing revisionist about noting he was willing to take a free ride from the nazis.

It's revisionist to include a couple of photo-ops out of a 50+year climbing career as "nazi affiliation" - particularly when the collaborating french of the generation get a freeride. But think what you like fruit.gif

Dru,

If you have time come to Vancouver or Burnaby Public Library and grab:

Anderl Heckmair : My life : Eiger North Face, Grandes Jorasses & other adventures / foreword by Reinhold Messner ; translated by Tim Carruthers.

You will be suprised with climbs and stories.

One stunned me the most and it's about climbing route in Swiss Alps where 4-5 first ascent parties were killed. He and his partner climbed route reaching dead climbers on the way up to the exit. They passed all of them and finished the route.

Latter they went to the city major and ask him to finance their second climb where they will recover all bodies from the mountain, but officials refused an offer.

I am positive you will like the book.

Z

For some reason I felt you didn't read the book.

My apologies.

I think he was not in control of his life at that moment. It was hard for anybody to be independent or different at that time. One part of my life I was not different than others and I was following the crowd. That is very common in countries without Western democracy and in times of political turmoils.

He dedicated part of the book talking about relationship with Leni and Hitler.

Anderl was not very proud of that part of his life but many admit he lived very fascinating mountaineering life. Messner was influenced with Anderl's climbs a lot. He is not ashamed of Anderl's life and "colaboration" with Hitler. He looked deeper in Anderl's personality to bild own.

In addition, Harrer's book influenced generations of mountaineers after WWII even tough he raised his arm to support Hitler.

It's very hard to understand all facts, especially from Canadian point of view where all things must make sense. I personally changed many of my views radically when I came to Vancouver.

Z

I think some people are misunderstanding my point

I'm not saying Heckmair was running death camps

I would compare his transgression to the incident with Ben Moon appearing in a cigarette commercial. Not all potential sponsors are worthwhile sponsors. Free gear and $$$ comes at a price and that price is your reputation and image.

True, but hindsite is 20/20, and while I'm not defending his Natzi sponsership, but it was a (relativle) minor part ofhis life. The one nice thing about hindsite is that you can see all of the other things he did and the context in which they happened. And while this may not atone for a photo-op, at least respect the man for his remarkable later life. As for your point Dru, I think you made it.