some current pics from the East Coast...

russki82

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by STORER:

Nice view! When I climbed Mt. Washington we were lucky to see 20 feet. I'm going to climb Mt. Marcy this December. We're hoping for a lot of snow.

Steve

With the way the wind blows up there I doubt you'll see much snow above treeline. But it should be alot of fun! Are you planning to head in from Marcy Dam, Johns Brook, or Panther Gorge?

Carl

[ 10-20-2002, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: cj001f ]

Hey Carl,

We're going to hike in from Marcy dam, assend the back side of Marcy, then desend the front side. We can't wait! [big Grin] I assended Alconquin last December and got my a$$ kicked by 60+ mph winds and blowing snow. It looked like a scene from Everest except we were at slightly lower elevation [Wink] Algonquin was strange above tree line; we would be climbing on hard ice then 20 feet later we would be in thigh deep powder. What have you climbed in the Adirondacks? What's Avalanche pass like in the winter?

Steve

[ 10-21-2002, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: STORER ]

Oh yes- the excellent weather continues!!!!!!!!!!

from Mount Washington Observatory

Conditions as of Monday 10:19 a.m. edt

Outside Air

Temperature Windspeed 15 Minute

Gust Wind

Direction Wind

Chill

16°F 46 MPH 55 MPH 314° (NW) -8°F

Observer's Comments:** The Mount Washington State Park Sherman Adams building is open for the remainder of the season to the public. The Appalachian Mountain Club Lake of the Clouds Hut and the Madison Spring Hut are now closed for the season. Drivers, cog passengers, and especially hikers should check the forecast and trail conditions before leaving and only venture out well- prepared! **

Monday 4:10AM

A good steady wind today and tonight up here, of course occupied by its ever present partner, the freezing fog. 50 mph average with a handful of gusts topping 70. Not many people made it up here today, except for a few hardy hikers armed to the teeth with winter gear. Snow drifts closed the upper part of the road for today, and I am assuming the ice was the culprit for the Cog. It's pretty chilly (translation: really cold) at 18 F, we bottomed out at 14 F just after "sunset". Through it all, I did manage to catch a glimpse of the big moon overhead; it was a gorgeous moment followed by millions of moments of fog. The rime ice continues to grow in polyps on everything. The ground looks like the top of a rapidly growing cumulus cloud or a garden of huge cauliflowers. I suspect the former is more accurate, for all the clouds on the mountain of late I wouldn't be surprised if we were on top of one as well. Enjoy the moon for us!!! Derek Brown - Observer

quote:

Hey Carl,

We're going to hike in from Marcy dam, assend the back side of Marcy, then desend the front side. We can't wait!
[big Grin]
I assended Alconquin last December and got my a$$ kicked by 60+ mph winds and blowing snow. It looked like a scene from Everest except we were at slightly lower elevation
[Wink]
Algonquin was strange above tree line; we would be climbing on hard ice then 20 feet later we would be in thigh deep powder. What have you climbed in the Adirondacks? What's Avalanche pass like in the winter?

Steve

Sounds nice - most of my daks winter has been ice climbing. Couple of years ago I climbed Algonquin Tahnksgiving weekend though your right it's a strange experience and the wind is brutal. Avalanche Pass is very cool in the winter - and it's a lot easier to navigate when the lake's frozen. Climb I was always looking forward to was NF Gothics (& Pharoah Mt) but I was never up there when it was in condition. 1000' of Ice would be nice.

Carl

quote:

Hey Mike McN., this is gettin me fired up for climbing the hill in March. Is Lion's Head the preferred rt. then? BTW, I have a co-worker who wants to do the thing too.

Rob

Lions Head is the why to go. If you take Tuckerman, you have some vertical climbing. Sometimes they close some trails due to avalanche danger.

Steve

[ 10-21-2002, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: STORER ]

Hey Rob,

The Lions Head Trail is condidered the least dangerous route in winter, and is the most frequently used winter route. Of course there are some nice ice climbing routes in the gullies also!!

I should have some pics of Washington from my previous traverse of which I'll post if I can find them, (and if I can figure out how to post on this forum!). If I can't find them, I'll be sure to take more on the next traverse this February, seeing as I bought me a new toy, a nice digital camera!! Rob, I, like you, am getting fired up for the coming season!!!

Talk to you lata.

Mike

quote:

Originally posted by russki82:

at this rate we might be climbing ice before you!!!

Whatever. Skiers in Utah and Colorado already have made turns this season. Loveland has already opened its ski resort. No doubt the ice of Lincoln Falls on Hoosier Pass in Colorado is climbable. I'd bet that's there's also ice in other early season areas like Bullion canyon in central Utah.

quote:

quote:

Hey Mike McN., this is gettin me fired up for climbing the hill in March. Is Lion's Head the preferred rt. then? BTW, I have a co-worker who wants to do the thing too.

Rob

Lions Head is the why to go. If you take Tuckerman, you have some vertical climbing. Sometimes they close some trails due to avalanche danger.

Steve

well, as a Northeasterner I should make some points...first, the climbing in tucks is steep but certainly far from vertical...in fact when the snow is soft and there are steps in place you can climb it without crampons and many do it just with ski poles, no axe or anything (not that i reccomend that, but they do anyway). In the winter it can get pretty icy though. As for "closings", well, actually no one really "closes" the trails during the winter - they can't, really. What they do is post the avalanche hazard at various points along the trails into the two main ravines - Tuckerman and Hungtingtons - Low, Moderate, Considerable, High, or Extreme...most sane people steer clear from the ravines when it's anything higher than "moderate".

of course our avalanches don't compare to what you get on Rainier or the West in general, but they can and have killed people...

quote:

Originally posted by freeclimb9:

Whatever. Skiers in Utah and Colorado already have made turns this season. Loveland has already opened its ski resort...

Yeah...by making snow, which is what they have to do for a good portion of the season. [geek]

[ 10-23-2002, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: JoshK ]