I'm okay.

Stefan

what is MSN?

I take glucosamine + chondroitin sulphate, although I think the effects (on me) are largely psychosomatic. It seemed to make my old dog more peppy in the last year of his life.

and page top!

[ 10-25-2002, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: fern ]

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MSM = methyl sulfonyl methane, a sulfuric compound. Of base alkalinity, it has purportedly been beneficial in the healthy formation of cartilage/connective tissues. My 1 year old dog, who has hip dysplasia, gets that plus glucosamine plus vit C every day. His dysplasia hasn't improved, but it hasn't worsened either.

My 41-year-old human body gets one every once in a while, too. [smile]

Also acts as a natural anti-inflammatory.

[ 10-25-2002, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: jules ]

These cartilidge rebuilders have positive and noticable effects in most people who haven't lost all the elastic cartilidge material. You need to do a consistent regimen over months for it to actually rebuild, unfortunately they are expensive and not covered by anybody's health care.

Also, taking Glucosimine AND Chronoditin in combination will have better effects than just one alone, don't know the ratios.

Okay, lets try posting it again:

Stefan’s remaining gear on Temple Mtn is no longer available. I and three of his climbing buddies did a day trip Saturday to fetch it. We took two ropes with a possible plan to climb Temple. However we did not imagine that we would be bring back four ropes. All the gear remaining was close to 30 lbs. It took us a little over 13 hours.

A couple of us visited him Sunday. Surprised him by giving him his gear. Considering what he has been through, Sunday he is feeling much better. We wish him a speedy recovery.

[ 10-28-2002, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: MtnMike ]

Hey Lambone,

Why not preface your question with a good old, "hey, how's Stefan doing?" It may not be the first thing on your mind, but it's the most important part of this accident equation. Stef's accident has reminded me of this fact, the healing of the injured should very much be the first concern, not "how it happened, and what can I do to avoid having this happen to me."

Mike can answer this better, but I believe no slingage has been recovered.

I spoke with Stef briefly yesterday afternoon shortly before the Mikes saw him, and his pain is plateauing. He should be fine for a while here if the sheer boredom of watching Jerry Springer doesn't give him bedsores.

"Considering what he has been through, Sunday he is feeling much better."

Not to mention this: I'm okay

That's why [Roll Eyes] Do I have to remind you of your first post to this thread? You wanna swap stories about ankle injuries...I got a good one for ya, until then shut yer trap drama queen. I am aware of how I can help prevent this from happening to me, what I am curious about is how it happened to him...

[ 10-28-2002, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Lambone ]

Allison, mtnMike posted how "stef" is doing. Do we all need to ask as well. Feel free to keep us updated.

Regardless. I would also like to know what happened up there. I beleive "stef" said he might give a more detailed synopsis of the accident.

Safe climbing to all.

Get well stefan

Below is a reprint of a post I made a few days ago elsewhere, that, in my mind says all I want to say on the subject for the time being:

From everything I have heard from the two guys who were up there, it's safe to assume that the sling failed in one way or another.

Whether it broke, came untied, or slipped off, well, as far as I know the sling has not been recovered, so we may never know.

Climbing has its inherent risks, and having a simple piece of gear like a sling fail is not unheard of.

I respect people's desire to know what went wrong that day, and certainly I've asked my fair share of questions in this vein about other accidents. But, for me, it all comes back to this: Stefan's welfare and recovery are way more important. I speak also from my own experience. As many of you know, I similarly broke both my ankles in a climbing accident. After it happened, I was asked, and to this day, continue to be asked, what happened? The details of my situation were equally likely, nothing unusual failed. My personal welfare was, well, frankly, shitty, for many, many months, and I continue to suffer to this day from the result of that fateful day. I was isolated and depressed, scared, and in pain, and yet....everyone wanted to know how the accident happened.

So, do this for me, or more importantly, do this for Stefan: Send him a card or an email, call him if you know him, or go visit, watch Oprah with him or if he feels up to it, take him to the park. When he feels better, rub his ankles or pay for a massage so they can do some lymphatic drainage on him. Offer to babysit the little one. Reach out to him in any way you can. He's going to need all of the support his friends can give him.